Swarm Collection Bucket

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Larus, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

I made this swarm collection bucket according to the plans and instructions in the May 2011 of Bee Culture magazine. Basically I just bought a 5-gallon bucket with a snap-shut lid at Ace Hardware, cut off half the tabs on the lid for easier on/off action, cut out most of the plastic in the lid and replaced it with #8 hardware cloth. I stapled the hardware cloth to the top of the lid with 1/2" wood staples, flipped the lid over and bent the ends of the staples in by pressing down with my hammer.
    [attachment=0:e4ajck4k]swarm bucket.JPG[/attachment:e4ajck4k]
    And voila. This should be more convenient for transporting caught swarms than a cardboard box.

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

be sure to take along a couple of sections of 1 1/2" or 2" pvc pipe and duct tape for an extension.

that way you can reach a little higher up in a tree (or whatever) and still be standing on the ground, be sure to wear your veil when doing that..............don't ask how I know that!!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you put the lid on, there will be a few hundred bees still in the air. I would install a couple small wire cones so they could go in, but not out.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That... is... brilliant!!!

Congratulations Iddee, you just revolutionized the way I'm going to catch swarms this year. :thumbsup: