Swarm hive not queenright

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, May 9, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

So the swarm i hived last Wednesday built up 6 frames as of Saturday and I thought I saw eggs. I figured i'd see larvae tonight but what I found is that they had stopped drawing new comb, no visible larvae or eggs. Should I give them a few more days or should I be ordering a queen? I've only got two other hives that were just started so i'm not sure I have the resources to give this hive a frame of eggs and brood.

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

I had the same recently, eventually after 2 weeks gave them a frame of eggs

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With the weather and blooms we are having this year, I would shake the bees off a frame with eggs from one of the new hives and give it to them, if you want the hive. If not, combine them with the weaker of the new hives.

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Well dang, after i posted this I ran out to the car to get some pieces of comb I cut out because the foundation was sagging really bad (another thread there). We got to looking under better light and the comb I cut out has eggs (one per cell) and larvae. I'm going to give them a couple more days before doing anything. I should see capped brood by the end of the weekend. I'm going to start feeding syrup to stimulate wax production.