Swarm in a Ficus Hedge???? Huh???

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bees In Miami, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

I know bees will show up in the darnedest of places...but a Ficus hedge??? I was doing my last 'hive check' about 7:30 last evening...just about getting dark, and I noticed about 10 bees buzzing the top of our ficus hedge. I said "There's nothing for you to be pollinating there....why are you there?" I investigated, and needless to say, found a significant swarm within my ficus hedge (which is unfortunately for me, about 12 feet tall). As I gathered the last of the gear I had (I am officially out of tops and bottoms, but had some frames and a box, so I said "punt"!), dark began to settle in. So there I am, in the dark, on top of a 10 foot step ladder, alone, with a Mag Lite, and a bucket, and the "punt" hive box below me. Shook this swarm into the bucket, shook the bucket of bees in the box, and hoped for the best. Of course the Mag lite fell off the ladder, so I was blind, but fortunately, I did NOT fall off the ladder! The bees were PISSED. As I said, now it is complete darkness...I am sure they thought they were tucked in for the night! A couple of them plonked off my veil for a WHILE! I waited about 15 minutes for them to re-cluster in the hedge, but based on the size of the cluster, I was pretty optimistic that I had Momma in the box. I shook the rest I could into the bucket...banged some into the hive, then put the bucket in front of the hive so they could walk in. At last check, I saw no bees in the hedge, no bees on the ground, and a couple guards at the hive entrance. Hopefully another colony to add to the yard!! I am grateful I spotted them, glad to have hived them, and just hope now they decide to stay! One thing I can say? Anybody that tells you working bees in the dark versus daylight is no big deal? You say...HOGWASH!!! I don't want to do another night job ANY time soon! I know...no pics, it didn't happen...but it was dark, I was in a hurry, and it really did happen!!! :grin: I just hope they stay. I will be doing hive inspections tomorrow to determine if it was one of my hives that threw the swarm, or maybe others in the area. Keep you posted! But what's the deal...with 30 fruit trees in the yard....the Ficus hedge????? What the heck???

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

As appears regularly on the forum: Bees will be bees and do as they please. :shock:

3. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Exactly Ef!!! I will be checking them shortly. Horizon is showing signs of sun rise. Night work sure did suck! The ficus hedge still has me puzzled with all the fruit trees close by! :confused:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice job! Glad you didn't break your neck falling from the ladder. I don't think the bees are picky when it comes to swarm movement. I routinely see them on cars in Youtube vids. I found them last year under lawn chairs, on pine trees and the side of buildings.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Swarm locations are not about food source. The Ficus offers pretty good protection from the weather.