Swarm in a new hive for 25 days...What am I seeing??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by vineroost, Jul 13, 2011.

1. vineroost

vineroost New Member

:wave: Greetings...you were all so helpful in the capture of this swarm.Thank You! Now it is 25 days later and I opened the hive for the first time. There is an issue ... when I put the frames in there were so many bees I only put 8 in... now there are even more bees,tons of wax and cells filled with clear stuff. (even coming out the hole in the inner lid gluing it to the outer cover) I felt like I should not try and move anything without advice. I will try to attach some pics.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Get another box on. You can clean up the first one later.

If a comb comes out where the frames were missing with the lid, cut it off and put frames in it's place. Otherwise, leave the bottom box until they are working well in the new box.

3. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Thanks again for the help. I installed the 2nd deep box and scraped off the comb on the inside of the inner lid. Looks like a little honey to me. I guess they were out of room. How long should I give them before I check. (obviously not a month). Do I need a honey super?
    Cheers...H
    PS...How does the photo attachment thing work?

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I would assume the queen is cramped for space if the bees have built and filled up so fast. After making room in the brood nest (having removed the combs attached to the inner lid, not in frames) I would have spread the frames and inserted two new ones in the middle of the hive, with a comb of brood between them. These would get built really fast and get the queen to lay more. A second super could be put on at the same time or, better yet, after a day or two.

5. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Well ....the new box is on and I am thinking of checking in after 48 hrs for my own education. My longer term thought is to switch out some of the first frames and the new frames after a week?? to allow things to even out. Any thoughts???

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like you have a good plan.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Not to hijack but I like that idea. My swarm hive is ignoring the outer frames in my 8 frame boxes.

Back on topic...sounds like you have a really good queen and box of bees!