swarm in abandoned hive

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by quabbin, Sep 16, 2009.

1. quabbin

quabbin New Member

Last year's bees did not survive the winter so the hive was idle this summer. Last week a swarm moved in!
    I have two supers with filled with frames. The bees are in both supers covering 1/2 the frames when checked a few days ago. I placed a third super on and have been feeding them 1 quart of sugar syrup a day. I need suggestions on what do do next. I did not see the queen. What can I do to get them prepared for winter?

Thanks

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With the hive sitting idle over the summer I would not hesitate to say that wax moths pretty much destroyed the comb and part of the frames. Did you check for damages in the boxes, there is no way they can make repairs to the destruction of wax worms.

If you are adding supers and feeding that is all you can do and hope for the best. If you have some frames of drawn comb add it in, it will give them a head start. That far north your are getting close up on some frost. Feed feed feed.

Welcome to the site and hope they make it through the winter, keep us posted.

G3