Swarm in july- questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Paula, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Paula

Paula New Member

Neighbor from couple miles away just came, has a pretty large ball on a eye level poplar limb, my question being this late in the season do they have enough of time to establish themselves and overwinter? More bees are arriving and the weight has droped them a bit lower, set up a nuc box with a honey frame, will they have enough time left in the season with help?

2. Paula

Paula New Member

I went and tapped the branch and all dropped into the box, it’s coming on evening, so i screened the entrance, and sat them in the shade of my apple tree, could hear high pitched squeaks (why does a queen squeak?)
    I waited till, from what i could see, no more were coming in, a tad bit of a breeze so they were bunching up pretty good before i tapped, I weighed the box before I left, got almost 5lbs of bee’s, would it be advisable to re-queen them? if so when? how do I find out what strain they are, and would you keep the same strain? or cross breed? can they be moved tomorrow into a perm 8frm home?

At my age (60) I have lots of time to spend, am long on common sence, and very short (nill) on bee knowledge, people kinda think i’m crazy having (mutiple sclerosis & lupus), being a single gal, and epi-pen dependent over yellow jackets, (haven't been stung by a honey bee for 50 yrs, but know its coming) I've found if I stay calm, divert my breath, move slow, they seem to ignore me, occasionally one will bump me.

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I would let them alone for a week and see if you have any new brood on the frames, also feed them sugar water, why requeen if they have a good one, a month or so ago my friend caught a swarm and put it in a nuc and the queen is super active with laying eggs, he gave me that swarm once it showed a good queen and she is filling in brood like crazy, ths swarm replaces my other hive that took off for greener pastures...and the rest of the hive is active building comb and making honey..

Paula likes this.
  4. Paula

Paula New Member

Excellent info, the only reason i would requeen is i dont know how old this queen is, and want young stong stock.... notice this afternoon my drones flying a lot it turn humid and they took flight and acted strangely so i killed a few on the landing boad and changed the dynamics of the colony for couple hours, that hive tends to have a high drone count, something that kinda worried me at first.... am going to get some brood and honey frames to add to the weaker him to boost numbers od working, hope im doing this right

5. roadkillbobb

the bees seem to do what they want when they want and have a knack for survival even if it means taking off and leaving you, as mine did..lol...but my past hive swarmed once before but requeened on their own with a strong queen...

6. Paula

Paula New Member

Thank you RKB, appreciate the info, kinda feel that way, (jurasic park... “nature finds a way”)...
    I think with help they’ll do fine, removed the screen and put them in sun at daylight, put these guys at a different locale on the property away from my others, I did give them a feeder when i set the box down last night, imagine most were full of honey (or is that not true, that workers will fill up on honey before they swarm?) how long usually before i see drawn comb? and? Can i put them in a 8frm today? If not advise if the 8’r is sufficient enough to overwinter? Thx RKB

7. Paula

Paula New Member

It's a custom 6 frm nuc, seems a bit small (i weighed the swarm, just shy of 5lbs) i cracked the side a tiny bit to vent, could feel the warmth and its suppose to get hot today, rather loose them than kill them from the heat, (would like ppl’s thoughts on 8frm equip, i use it due to the weight, how big will a colony usually get in them, my 1 big concern is winter, will a 8’r be large enough to stay warm?.

8. roadkillbobb

bees will do what they have to to survive in the heat, just have a screened bottom board and a top entrance and that is fine, the bees will go outside the hive to cool off if need bee, too much interference from humans can drive them away, so dont mes too much with them, noone bothers them in the wild and they do just fine..

9. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

That size swarm, yes, with a decent queen

I'd get them into a standard ten-frame hive ASAP, feed them 1:1 syrup if there's nothing coming in, probably throw a 'brood builder' patty or similar pollen substitute on top of the inner cover under an empty medium, that gives room for a quart feeder over part of the inner cover hole.

Once they have ten frames built, give them a second deep and keep feeding till all are built out and then switch to 2:1 syrup later for winter stores.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would move them up to an 8 or 10 frame as soon as possible, and to get them ready for winter, do plan on feeding.

11. Paula

Paula New Member

Thanks all they have done great, building up have the outsides all filled working in, she’s laying good still, we had a long raining spring so have lots of late flo coming on from various sources, am feeding also.... but they rather go out to gather it seems for now

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

that is good news Paula!