Swarm in tree top, Bucket or Bait?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Hello Bee Buds, I have a question, and invite your opinion as to which way to go with retrieving a swarm from one of my hives that move to the top of a tree this evening,... 30 feet or so up. I have heard of people using a bucket on the end of a pole and shaking the swarm into it to re-hive it. I have never tried it ( I think I can reach them this way) My only concern is that I may not get the queen.
    ​ On the other hand I have 6 bait hives around, my property (and neighbors), ranging from 50 yards away to 1/2 mile. So do I try to climb the ladder and reach up and shake the bees into the bucket or wait and see if they like one of my bait hives. Decision, decisions:???:

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Get them with a bucket as soon as possible for they will be leaving there as soon as the scouts get back with a place to go, when you go with the bucket go with a quick tap or two and you will get the queen.

​Ken

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

tried and true. But also spread s white sheet on the ground under the tree, have your hive box for them sitting in the center, that way anyone that misses the bucket is easy to see, including the queen. I tape the bucket to the pole, and if I believe i Have the queen because most of the bees went in, I dump them in the hive.

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I'd try the bucket and the sheet. If you miss, they still have a shot at the bait hives. But as kebee says, time is of the essence.

5. Ray

Ray Member

Well?????? How did it go?

6. successx3

successx3 New Member

Yes, Please share.....The guy that delivers my wood came by with bucket truck and I was able to save a swarm. I lost the other two. Using the ladder isn't recomended at 30 feet. Not worth it. Easier to stay in one piece on the ground.