Swarm in Worm Compost box

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by milapostol, Jun 23, 2011.

1. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Last night I went to sort some compostables into the normally silent worm box. When I lifted the lid, I heard a sound that scared me. It was out of context; worms usually don't make sounds! It was a swarm of course. Because it was late in the date, I decided to leave them until today.

We found evidence of comb being built--it was very small. The problem is that we can't shake it out because of the (poor) worms and the compost. So we put a box on top of the worm box. If you have any suggestions on how we can do this better, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if unobstructed they will move up in time. But if they are a small swarm it may take awhile. If you have drawn comb you could put in the upper box they may move up sooner

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Free bees delivered to to your wormbox,that's what I call service :lol: .

4. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Yeah, it was nice. No ladders, no pruning shears. Didn't have to drive anywhere.

After we came back from lunch, I went out to check on them, and saw that the box had tipped over! They were still hanging around, though, so we used that as an opportunity to give them a bottom board and cover. Yes, the already drawn comb was very enticing.

And the poor worms got to have their house back.

Thanks for the replies...

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you did a fine job, and I bet the worm appreciate it too!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ya' see what is the eventual fate of bees in the land of the prune pickers? the poor bees don't even have a proper tree in which to call home so they are now living at the dump. poor bees. :roll:

7. milapostol

milapostol New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhh...the bees now have a proper roof over their heads and are being moved into their eventual spot.

A question: I did put in some built out comb in the box that might have food for them, but since it's a late swarm, we think we should start feeding them. Do you agree? Last year, we had caught some swarms in late May and did not feed. They did not make it over the winter and we feel this is partly due to our error of not feeding.

Thanks!

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Put the feed out for them, if they do not take it then they are getting enough while foraging, if they drink it down like a drunken sailor they are hungry.

9. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Thank you, G3. Will do.

The girls are doing well. They've accepted the new home and the worms are glad to get their home back.