Swarm moved in to our hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bbuck, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

So, 2 years ago our bees did not make it thru the winter, we spent last summer and this summer building a new house for ourselves. In the mean time I moved our hive boxes to our new property and just threw them together. The other day I saw some activity around it so I took a look and there was quite a few bees around it. My wife and I got our bee stuff out of storage and opened up the hive, sure enough there is 1 to 2 nukes worth of bees in it. Over the past winter mice had took up residence in it so I took out all that mess, put in fresh frames, these bees were living in the top box because the bottom box had no frames in it. We were quite surprised.
    My question is, should I take the 2nd deep hive box off and just leave them in the bottom one? Will they have enough time to build up two boxes? Should I feed heavy or is there enough time left for them to do their own thing? There are about 5 full frames of bees in it right now. Thank you

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

what part of the country are you in? Do you have a nectar flow, and how heavy? if they can't patrol and defend 2 boxes right now, take off the empty one. Keep the front door small (use an entrance reducer) and maybe feed syrup INSIDE the hive, they aren't big enough to fend off a heavy robbing attempt. And good luck to you

3. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

we live in upper michigan, to be honest, i dont know if we have a nectar flow going on or not, but if i had to guess I'd say we are at the end of one. will take 2nd box off then. thank you

4. Gypsi

You are welcome, and welcome to the site. I suggest you feed syrup to get them going and large enough to get through the winter. and maybe a pollen patty or some pollen sub

5. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

So our bees have been going crazy bringing in pollen, I believe it's goldenrod, can I assume this is a good source of nectar too? I was feeding but have run out of 2/1 syrup, should I feed more or is there time enough to fill up before winter? Thanks again

6. Gypsi

you live in Upper Michigan, goldenrod does produce nectar and when they start fanning it your hives will smell like dirty socks. Dirty gym socks to be precise. However, It is past August first and I know your days are shortening faster than mine. Additionally yours are going to need 2 boxes to get through the winter. I'd pick up 50 pounds of sugar and make more syrup, did you check what they had full when you removed the box?

7. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

they didnt have much, when i was giving them syrup, they went thru a quart a day, does that seem right?

8. Lance Banks

Lance Banks New Member

This happens especially in certain parts f the country

9. Gypsi

when they are starving and building up, absolutely normal. However, are you using a boardman? Do bubbles come up after your jar is inverted? A grain of sugar in the threads can make your jar leak and then they really use syrup and all the local ants benefit

10. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

I see no syrup on the bottom board, or any inside the feeder when I remove the jar. I did just order a feeder for in the hive, it'll hold a gallon at a time, we'll see how quick they go thru that.

11. Gypsi

sounds good

12. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

Just got in the hive again, there wasn't any comb building in the second box, but these were in fairly poor condition as we just heaped everything in a stack in our rush to move. I believe the bees were spending a lot of time just cleaning the frames, took out all but one and put 8 new frames in and a 1 gallon feeder. The good news is every frame on the bottom brood box was full of bees, the outside frames were full of capped honey and a lot of bees were in the second brood box. I'm going to continue feeding 2/1 syrup, should I also give them pollen patties? Thanks for the help in advance

13. Gypsi

if they are bringing in pollen I wouldn't start patties yet. If they are NOT bringing in pollen, I would start patties.

Bbuck likes this.
  14. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

thank you, I do see some with pollen, not like it was a week ago but they still have some coming in

15. mark nic

mark nic New Member

I made a pollen feeder and placed it about 30 feet from the hives, didn't have any lemon grass oil to use to attract them so I put some honey-be-healthy on a tissue and the bees found the feeding station real quick, they have been going to it pretty well I even tried a bit
    forgot to mention I am feeding dry pollen substitute

Bbuck likes this.
  16. Gypsi

sounds like they needed it

17. Gypsi

So how did your hive do? It is winter feeding time, soon, in the northern Hemisphere.

18. Bbuck

Bbuck New Member

so far so good, they had the upper deep completely filled with capped honey except the two outer frames. been in the 40s here so haven't seen much of them. should I be giving them 2/1 with it being this cold out? or do candy board

19. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I feed sugar water till its freezing out, I started giving fondant to 2 new hives that started as swarms caught, I want to give them every chance to make it through the winter, they have increased their numbers by ALOT...but you cant go wrong with feeding..

20. Gypsi

I'm about to switch to fondant, I put a recipe on the forum to make it if you need one