Swarm/outside comb

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by tmrschessie, Jul 22, 2012.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Well finally made it up to take care of this one. As you may remember I had a swarm on the corner of a two story home.

[​IMG]

I got the robo bee vac and the rest of my gear and headed out...Everything went very smoothly. The family stood around and asked questions when ever I was on the ground. They were very pleased with the job and really liked the live bee removal...

[​IMG]
    Got the girls home and boxed up. Did not see a queen....there were about 5 small combs of honey laced...seen about a half dozen larva that appeared large like drone cells and that was all the brood found and it was not sealed.

Big thanks to G3farms....George your help has made my doing this most enjoyable. Tom

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well done Tom :thumbsup:

George, I guess you get an extra slice of pie for supper tonight! :mrgreen:

3. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

If George was close enough, I would have the wife make him a homemade apple pie....:grin:

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

nice removal good job:thumbsup: hope the queens there someplace

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Question is.............did you see any eggs?

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

No George NO eggs???and only a few lava. Not sure what that means....also very little capped honey and very few cells of uncapped honey. Tom

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No eggs is a good sign of no queen. give them three to four days to settle in and then check for eggs and/or queen. If you see eggs after four days you have the queen, since it takes 3 to 31/2 days for the egg to hatch out into a larva.

Did you take a peek in behind the soffit, The queen likes to run and hide with a handful of bees. My thinking was that the original hive was in the soffit and were so crowded that they started to move to the outside..........just a thought.

8. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Well I'll bee.........went to see how they were doing yesterday evening and they were gone.....every single one of then.....

9. wadehump

wadehump New Member

they may have had a virgin queen and the cutout/mating flight drug them away

10. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Good point, but gone none the less...lol sure sweated a lot...but did learn a lot also. Thanks for the input. I will put that into my things learned list...Tom