Swarm Preparations and other ??'s

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

In another thread I explained how I was feeding my 3 hives in an effort to ensure they have enough stores for the up-coming winter. It's working and it should be another 2 weeks and I'll be able to remove the feeders if they keep going at the same pace.
    I run one 8 frame deep and two mediums per hive. This belongs to the bees. The 3rd box on each hive will be full of capped honey/sugar syrup. Can I take those off and store them or should I just leave them on and put another super on top for my honey?
    My next question is the cluster off bees I'm seeing on the bottom side of the hive cover when I went in to feed one of my hives. It's as big as my fist. I haven't looked for swarm cells in this hive. Could this be swarm preparations? I broke them apart and didn't see a queen so maybe they were resting after a nice sugar syrup meal ;)

Thanks!
    Ed

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Leave the honey on the hives, unless you can freeze it to be fed back later, I would just add another supper.

As far as the bees forming a cluster under the lid , the bees don't work all the time, they actually get together and have a social bee ! :Dancing:

Murrell

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

typically when I see a large accumulation of bees when I take off the lid this either suggest to me that the hive is extremely strong and I need to add another box or be prepared for the hive to swarm or both.

just casually it seems to me that you are making the same error as someone on another thread and are perhaps feeding a bit too much or a bit too often. at some point in time you do need to decide that you have got this 'young' en' off to a good start and now they need to ride by themselves without you holding up the back of the bike and without training wheels. <just my nsho.