Swarm queen not laying.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Barry Tolson, May 28, 2010.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

About 3 weeks ago I took a small swarm and set them up in a top bar hive with some stores and empty drawn comb. Also gave them an extra bar or two so they could build new comb...which they are doing. Also bringing in pollen. Upon inspection today I found the queen...nice and plump, festooning bees building comb, but not a single egg nor larva. I'm not sure if I should re-queen or give her a little more time. Anyone have a similar experience?
    Thanks.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If it has been a full 21 days, I would requeen. Even if she starts laying this late, I wouldn't trust her to be viable. She likely was ill-mated, and will have to be replaced shortly anyway.

3. Chickm1

Chickm1 New Member

I am experiencing the same thing with a swarm queen. I am starting to think she was not mated at all. She doesn't look very old, judging by size, so I decided I am going to give her one more week, and if no eggs, I will combine one of my nucs I have in reserve.

4. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

I guess I'm just getting old. The other day I checked that top bar hive and found both capped and open brood. There had to have been open brood in there that I was just not able to see the last time I looked. Time to get an eye exam!