Swarm queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Jun 18, 2014.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Today I checked my swarm hives(3 caught in bait hives on 5/30). I found the queen in one with assorted eggs and larvae...she looked kind of petite...do they fatten up as they go along? I am used to those huge queens you get in packages/nucs? The other I did not see a queen but, saw larvae and eggs. And the other is simply too small so I am going to combine it.
    Here are some photos of the Queen I did see... Swarm queen 1.jpg Swarm queen 2 .jpg Swarm queen 3.jpg

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

size of the queen does not matter, some of my best hives have had small queens and done very well, they will replace her if she is not up to par, and as for the swarm, my smallest catch was 1 side of 1 frame and became my best hives.

3. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

The dinky swarm is not one side of a frame...probably 1/2...(1/4 or so on each side)

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

you can add a frame of nurse bees with capped brood to pump up the population fast, thats what I do, also use pulled frames for them so they dont have to build new right away, get brood production up faster that way