Swarm question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 5, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I was wondering,say i had a extra bought queen (still in the cage) and i found a hive ready to swarm. Now if i went through that hive and removed the old queen and cut out all the queen cells, (not miss any) then put the caged queen in it to requeen it. (which takes 2 to 4 days to release her) Do you think this would stop the swarm mode they were in? or do you think they would swarm anyway with their new queen. :confused: Jack

PS.being snowed in and no sign of it letting up is making me think crazy.

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Snowed in, did you get another 4 in. last night ?

We Did !!

Jack. will Nixa Hardware be selling packages again this year ?

Thanks
    Murrell

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Murrell,i've not heard about Nixa Hardware this year, but did hear that Roy Brunner (from Stocton,Mo.) would be taking orders and he sets up at Race Bros. Farm Supply in Springfield,Mo. I can pm you when i hear more if you like. Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

boy Jack you know how these kind of things typically work out differently than how us humans want them to work out, but yes it sounds like your intervention has merit.

knocking down ALL the queen cells is really the trick here and removing enough bee with the old queen to reduce crowding should also be important. early hatching virgins will always confound these kinds of well thought out interventions.

a lot of time once the reorganizing is complete (by you) you can set down the queen cage on top of the hive bars and have a good idea if the split will accept the new queen. letting the split set long enough (maybe 2 hours minimum) to know they are queenless would likely help. set the queen cage on top of the bars (screen wire up) a good sign is if workers very quickly come to the top side of the queen cage and begin feeding the queen thru the wire. if on the other hand their are worker pulling and stinging at the wire then something is still amiss.

ps... Jack you are a bee keeper and your thinking is suppose to be crazy.