swarm question

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by thatguy324, Apr 27, 2013.

1. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

okay i got a guy with a swarm in his yard in his dog wood tree my bee suit isnt here could i just throw together a veil real quick and get some gloves and a cardboard box or bucket with 1/8 mesh so they can breathe and how long can they stay in that bucket / box i still have a let the wood glue dry before i can make the follower boards for my tbh.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If the swarm is new and hasn't been there a long time it should be relatively docile. If the weather is nice I would be tempted to give it a go (JP always makes out OK).
    They can stay in the box/ bucket for a day or so without much trouble.
    Beats losing them altogether.

3. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

well i gonna give it a go wish me luck

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

A swarm sets off with a reserve supply of honey in the bees crops. That honey can be enough to last them for a few days without collecting nectar (like in an instance where rain catches the swarm before it can find a home to move into). It sounds like you'll be ready for hiving them before they are out of reserves.
    Don't worry, your luck was in being called in collect the swarm. I'm sure it will hold with you---and them.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

I boxed a small swarm today in the rain, about large grapefruit size.

They were under a board on an old play set. Didn't even bother taking out the bee suit, two drops lemongrass oil on my nuc box and a little brushing and was on my way in 20 minutes. House owner asked how many stings considering bees were all over me at one stage when I stirred them up with brush..

not one.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Go get your swarm, they are not in a stinging mood. Yes you can drop them into a cardboard box.

I always cut a small opening (4 to 6 inches square) and cover it with screen wire for ventilation.

The will move up to the top of the box and cluster again and start to build comb. You will find that they can build a comb about the size of your hand in a 24 hour period

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Zulu, you could have fudged that number a bit and maybe gotten a hamburger out of the deal.:lol:

8. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

sorry i took so long to responed but i was driving there got a call from the guy saying they just took off oh well :roll: