Swarm season starting here

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 6, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Three swarm calls yesterday, two 3lb swarms 5ft off the ground in small trees, one 4lb. swarm on a chain link fence amongest honeysuckel vines.With some clippers and a scoop made from a bleach jug, it made the catch easy. Two club members had two swarms,. they said was on the sidewalks? Another swarm made the local news, a car that had been abanded for 30yrs. at a local business. (Their display) Customers were watching the bees coming and going from it's gas tank spout :mrgreen: .Some of our club members were ask to remove them. (in Springfield, Mo.) This has been a strange year,with the on and off warm and cold weather, i have found some hives out of stores and had to feed some booming hives. :eek: Jack

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

send some over the boarder i havent had but 2 this year in kansas

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

so far 6 swarm calls, 2 cut outs, 2 trap outs and a bee tree.

I agree about the weather being crazy, seems like swarms started about two week early here. Hope to get a few more swarm calls before the cut out calls start coming in.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I had 4 swarm calls a week ago, but they were 30 and 40 miles away, i called some club members in the area and turned them over to them. I got another swarm call from Wal Mart in Ozark, Mo. this afternoon, the lady said they were on the ground. :confused: That makes three swarm calls that they said were on the ground, The club members who went after them said they were good size swarms. Are bees getting to lazy to fly and hang in a tree. :mrgreen: Jack

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Trees are just getting more scarce in the big city!!

Two swarm calls I got they were on the side of brick walls, a sizable stretch of trees just across the road.

6. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

No calls for me yet. Patiently waiting. I did manage a cut out last weekend. Simple barn wall removal.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Got two larg swarms today, one my own :confused: . Drove by the bee yard and seen bees flying around a wild plum tree,checked closer and found at least a 4lb. swarm hanging on a limb over a barb wire fence. Easy catch, my question ? do any of you have a way to tell which hive they came from without going through all the hives. :confused: I've never found a way without going through some strong hives looking for swarm cells or seeing it happen. The other swarm was in the cemetery between two of my great uncles,great grandfather and grandfather (and their wives) graves. Brought back old memories and i'm sure they were watching and laughing at me. :mrgreen: Jack

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

excellent question Jack. tellin' the prime suspect after the fact has never been self evident to me.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack I can't tell which hive swarmed just by looking at the entrance. Seems like once it is over and done with it is business as usual.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That's what bugs me. :mrgreen: they are all sneaky looking, like nothing ever happen. :roll: Jack

11. milapostol

milapostol New Member

There's been a lot of swarms in my area, but I have yet to personally see one. We are hoping a swarm will miraculously drop by and hang out in our avocado tree, but that seems too convenient! :)

We do think we have done a better job of swarm avoidance by giving the girls more room this year. The checkboarding seems to have worked...so far. One thing I've realized, the girls have a mind of their own and don't always follow the dictates of us humans. I actually rather like that in them.