Swarm,swarm,swarm,enough already

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by crackerbee, Mar 10, 2012.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

2 weeks ago I had 7 colonies,today I have 11,4 additional colonies from swarms I've caught in my backyard where my apiary is set up.In the past 2 weeks I've had 8 swarms,I've managed to catch and hive up 6 of the 8,2 absconded within 24 hours,and the other four seem to be staying put for now.

I only had 7 colonies when this started 2 weeks ago,and now it seems almost every day(for the past few days)I've had swarms,all clustering in the same tree,except 1 that was under a patio table in the backyard.Can all these be coming from my hives,I just went through all of them a week ago and only 2 had queens cells that were on the face of the comb(I'm assuming these supersedure or emergency cells),not the bottom like where swarm cells are often located.

Don't get me wrong I like getting all the free bees(especially not having to drive somewhere to get them),but I'm now concerned the colonies they swarmed from not being able to build up enough for the spring flow.

Could some(or most)of these be passerby's swarms that smelled my apiary and decided it was a good place to look for a new home? :dontknow:

Thoughts???

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

50-50 chance. They may have come from yours, or may have come from a neighbors.Unless you see them in the air, you will never know.""Unless one or more turn out to be AHB"". :D

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Don't cut down the swarm tree!! :lol:

Do you know if there are any hives close to you?
    I know you live around some very big strawberry fields so there must be several hives close by.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thoughts???

My first thought was "You're killing me here Cracker, I can't take much more"! :lol:

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

What Perry said :mrgreen:

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

My first thought is maybe you should take a closer inspection of your colonies, to make sure your bees aren't the ones swarming. Free bees are only free if: 1.) they weren't from your bees, if they were, halving your colonies work force at a time when they need the numbers, really seems counter productive, 2.) id your not having to feed them up costing your sugar syrup or corn syrup both cost but nearly as much ( assuming that you intend to actually sell honey, if your doing this to give away for gifts or the house thats one theing, quite another if your intending to make a few sheckels off of honey) Ohh yeah, therre is always the possibilitity that you will experience after swarms, progressively smaller and smaller swarms headed by virgin queens--truely depopulating your colonies when bees are needed most.
    Barry

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

crackerbee, just notice that you live near Plant City Fl., my brother lives there also, works at rockport for CSX, he has a trackter bussies where he does bushhog, spaying orange trees and has an orange grove hisself, might know him.

Kebee

8. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

G3, the closest hive I've seen near me is about 6 or 7 miles away,I'm in an agricultural section of Plant City,but the reason I chose to keep bees is I had none coming to the veggie garden.I've looked for hives in the blueberry and strawberry farms around here,and haven't seen any to date.Two years ago I had a beautiful veggie garden,and had blossoms galore,but only once in a while I would see or hear maybe one bee trying to do all the work,during the whole time the garden was peaking.

[/QUOTE]

Barry, I guess I can inspect my hives again to see if I can find and sign of a bee depleted colony,I did that a week ago and all looked healthy with nice solid brood patterns,and no problems to speak of,what else should I be on the lookout for besides depleted colonies??

Kebee, Pm me your brothers name and I'll see if I recognize it,I know a few folks that have the same type business in my area.

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

queen cells along the lower 1/3 of frames

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

It's been 5 days since I started this thread,and so far I haven't found any more swarms in my backyard:thumbsup:.I went through the hives Mon.(3/12) and only found 1 with a couple of swarm cells,so I may opt to do an artificial swarm before it does it naturally.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

suspect you probably missed a few swarm cells week or so ago.
    Barry

12. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I guess I spoke too soon,got home this afternoon and there was yet another swarm(ninth in 2 weeks)in the same tree that the other clustered in:roll:.

May be I fed them too much too early?:dontknow:

I'm now up to 12 colonies,up from 7 just 2 weeks ago.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Could you send me a cutting off of that tree!!:rolling:

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Cracker,
    If you find that you've got too many swarms or that they are too small for your liking, you can unite two or more to create one strong hive. Done early enough in the season can give you a nice strong, productive hive.
    Just make sure to remove the least desirable queen, place the hive boxes directly, one on top of another with a sheet of newspaper between them. See to it that the queen you want is in the lower box and, before placing the top one in position, make a few cut marks with a hive tool in the newspaper.
    The bees will chew up the paper and unite calmly. I've never had this method fail.

15. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Crackerbee, do you run your bees with deep double brood chambers? If you do, have you reversed them yet. Have you provided them with supers? And do you provide a upper entrance? I ask because all those things, will help in swarm control. You noted in a previous post that you observed swarm cells in one hive, sometimes they hide them nicely, missing one and there ya go--chasing swarms. While it's possible they are from feral colonies, or a neighbors, finding those queen cells says alot atleast to me.
    Barry

16. kebee

kebee Active Member

Sure wish I knew where a swarm was to get. I believe I will be the only one around here with bees, for I haven't see any and not heard of a swarm anywhere around this erea, darn, crackerbee you are making me jealous.

Kebee

17. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Kebee, you might try to put an ad on Craigslist for bee removal,that's what I've done in the past and last year I ran out of wooden-ware in a few weeks after placing the ad,and had to remove it until I got more.