Swarm Swarmed !00 feet away

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by vineroost, Jun 20, 2011.

1. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Well I did my homework over the weekend, went to Rhul this am..$200 later I have everything I need,come home check the swarm, paint,glue nail. check the swarm,ready to instal the hive, put it in place, Swarm Gone....swear, think about crying....stop...listen...they are about 50 ft away in blackberry /tree/ brush area...Placed the hive as close as possible...20 ft away one bee goes in and leaves. Is there any hope that they will move in??? Now what again?? Thanks for the advice...

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a lure of some type might help. I must confess I have never had any luck wishing bees into a box. I have had some success by knocking the bees into the box and quickly tossing on the lid. Generally the trick, if there is one, is to get the queen into the box and then to get the queen to stay.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Can you see them? Are they just clustered on a branch or are you saying they set up shop in the tree itself (hollow)?
    If they have formed a cluster hanging on a branch, position your box directly (close) below it and give the branch a shake, you will find the cluster will usually drop for the most part complete. Then place your frames in and cover.
    If they are on a branch that can be cut, do so, and set the bulk of the bees inside your box, give it a shake, and then place your frames in, and cover.
    If they have set up shop in the tree, it's a whole new ball game.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

20 feet away? Sounds like you are afraid of a briar scratch. As said above, if out in the open, and not in a hollow tree, go get them. Shake them into the box and wait until dark. Move them to the place you want them permanently.

5. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Just tried to get to the tree/bush...can,t see them(swarm) but they are there...came back for the machette and blackberry hasmat suit...also have about a thousand marching into a small hollow in a tree right near the house ...are they splitting off or scouting??? They are 200 yards from the rest

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They are scouting. Block the hole and place your hive there. Lemongrass oil works great as a lure. Just a couple drops of it on the frames. Lemon pledge will also work. DO IT QUICK.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Then continue with the machete and shake them into a box and carry them to the hive. They may go there on their own before you get to them.

8. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

For future reference a cardboard box works in situations when you don't have hive equipment ready. Shake into box poke some vent holes, and leave in the shade or a cool spot for a day or two. That would solve the lost swarm issue

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

man I want to see the video on this. Its got to be golden a beekeeper dressed in full garb waving a machette around like some crazed ninja after a swarm. :Dancing:

10. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Winner,Winner Chicken Dinner....75% are in the box(hive) only took the tractor ,a pallet and the forks 12 feet up in the air. But I guess time will tell...they are a little more worked up than the first time they were caught. Thanks for all the advice....I would of waited and hoped.........& they can still be gone in the am.Thanks again

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

put a feeder on them and reduce the entrance if you have a frame of brood to put in with them will help anchor them down

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Charla and rat, I don't think you have read the whole thread. Go back to the op and catch up. It's been quite a scene we have played out here. Hopefully, it is coming to a happy ending and a new beginning. The beginning being an additional beekeeper in the world.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yee Haw, sounds like they are going to move in for ya!!

Now the most dreaded part.........leaving them alone for a couple of days to let them settle in, pull comb and get the queen to laying eggs. For the most part that will anchor them to the new hive, poking around too much in the early stages will make them abscond (leave town).

14. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Great that they decided to stay with you. When we were still wet behind the ears, our swarm hive swarmed also in a tree less than 15 feet away. We were able to get them after a couple of tries. Not that we aren't still a bit damp behind the ears....