Swarm trap comb

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by rast, Feb 13, 2011.

1. rast

rast New Member

Here's a picture of some cut off OLD comb I used last year in a swarm box. Cut it off on a table saw and stapled it to some top bars. You can see where they built onto it. Wasn't meant to be permanent.

[​IMG]

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

You can staple comb???

3. rast

rast New Member

Sorry for the poor explanation Hobie. I cut off the bottom of some old frames and stapled the bottom bar to a top bar.

[​IMG]

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

So when you put this comb in your swarm trap was the top bar on top or the bottom?

If it was on the top the comb would be upside down, did it make a difference?

5. rast

rast New Member

It was on top.

All I can say is it caught a swarm and they built the rest of the comb onto the old comb right side up.
    Maybe they thought the bees that built that upside down part was from "down under" :D .

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Curious Rast, I was wondering the same thing.
    I was given what looked like a large birdhouse one time, with a door on the front with a vertical slot in the door. When I opened the front door there were 5 deep frames on their sides (end bars) :eek:
    Actually it made a lot of sense as a swarm box, it was very easy to manouver and nail to a tree or what have you. The only thing I questioned was the "direction" of the comb.