Swarm Trap Placement

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

When placing swarm traps should you place them at least 2 miles away from your bee yards or would you want some nearby in case your hives are the ones swarming? I am thinking both but this is my first rodeo! :grin:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would do both, your bee yard will attract other bees. The trick is just like fishing, you have to put the bait in an area where there are bees at, that is the best place. You might be surprised at where you will catch them. I try to keep a mental map of where I got swarm calls and cut outs from years past, you know there are bees around that area. Try to place somewhere off of the ground, most say around the 10 foot mark.

3. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Is a swarm trap just a nuc with frames?

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I am using old hive bodies for my first two kinda beefed up on the inside. It will hold 8 frames vesus 10.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A swarm trap can be anything that will attract a swarm of bees. It can be anything from 10, 8, 5 frame equipment, empty hive bodies, old bee tree logs, cardboard boxes, sono tube with plywood ends, etc., etc. Just think of all of the cut outs that bees are in have seen bird houses, speaker boxes, trash cans, old motors, meter boxes, buildings, etc, etc..

What a swarm trap is after is something to attract the bees into that will make it easy on the keep to put them into his own equipment. That is why old equipment with frames is often used.

6. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Most of the swarms I caught were in traps I set on my hive stand about 5 feet from the nearest hive. There's something about a beeyard that attracts swarms. You can also find out where other beeyards are and set them close but it's best not to mention that to anyone. :lol:

7. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

That's funny, but I'd be pizzed :mad:if I found out someone did that to me, although I'd be lying if I told ya I hadn't thought about doing it:lol:. I am seriously considering setting a swarm trap on one of my ladder tree stands in the woods across the road from my house. Its halfway between a neighbor beek 1/4 mile south and one 400 yards north. That's not too close to upset them I wouldn't think? Any thoughts on catching bees in the woods?

8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I'm sure no one would *ever* set out traps close to another beeyard, would they, CharlieB? :rolling:

I'd say go for it, Indiana Dave, those bees need a home *somewhere*!!! It's the humane thing to do!!! :wink:

Ed

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If they don't want you to catch their bees, tell them to keep them at home.:lol: I like to place them 300 ft. from my bee yards about 8 to 10 ft off the ground. I use the deep 10 frame old hive bodies, many times when i used the 5 frame nuc's, swarms would come in to them, but leave in a day or two because it was to small of space.(not had that problem with the 10 frame deeps) One thing to remember,at some point you will want to take them out of the tree(or what ever) and put them somewhere else,so keep them light and easy to close up.I like to make a screened frame to screw down over the top of the frames, (under the lid) so when you move them, all you have to do is screw a board across the entrance.Also in hot weather you can move them with the lid off with the screened frame screwed on top.Just the way i do it. Jack
    PS.I have left them in the tree to long, and found that when you pull 60 to 80 pounds off a stand and your on a ladder:shock: you can go one way and the hive another. But that was a long time ago.:roll:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack that is a great idea about the screen already in place under the hive top. :thumbsup:

Now you are going to make me work at making screen tops!!:lol:

11. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I set out two traps this afternoon, one about 1/4 mile from my beeyard along a swamp bottom and the other about 1/2 mile away in a 40 acre pine thicket.

Is it me or does anyone else ever notice that when duck season goes out(end of January in NC) that the swamps are loaded. I set that one trap out overlooking one of our duck hunting hot spots and there were 100's of Woodies, Mallards and Canadian Geese just swimmin' around without a care in the world! Usually the same when Deer & Turkey seasons go out too. :lol:

12. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

No, it happens here too. They don't have a care in the world when you aren't wearing waders and carrying a blind bag and shotgun. Makes you think that they know season dates....

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

jack writes:
    I like to place them 300 ft. from my bee yards about 8 to 10 ft off the ground.

tecumseh:
    I think if you read perhaps some of Wildon's or Seeley's work you might believe 300 to 600 feet was about the right distance from an apiary for a swarm trap and 8 to 15 feet up in some tree about the correct height.

anyone that wants to place a swarm trap near one of my own yards is more than welcome to do so.

it is amazing how a swarm can discover a nice new home. at one time not long ago while inspecting one of my neighbors hives (in a yard just up the road from my house) I did discover one of my queens in his box (I assumed here that there were not many folks that paint their queens pink).