Swarm Trap

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Redcrane, May 16, 2010.

1. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Checked my swarm traps last Sun & saw a couple of bees around one. Just a couple. This AM when I checked there were definatly bees there, so I waited til almost dark to go pick it up. The thing must have been 50 lbs. No telling how long it had been occupied. Moral: don't just glance at your traps, take a good look. Tomorrow I've to cut the comb loose & tie it into frames.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I never use a trap without frames. I do enough cut outs from buildings, without creating even more.

3. beehandler

beehandler New Member

way to go red !!!!! need some help? gimme a call....

4. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Iddee, That was a lesson learned!

5. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We have swarm in one of our traps! just moved in a couples days ago. We're gonna look at it after it settles in a little better and hopefully have our 5th hive!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Way to go, Fred. Give them 4 days or so to start laying before disturbing them. Then move them to the yard.

7. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Thanks! It's been 3 or 4 days since we noticed them, so...the next sunny day we'll look at 'em and see what we caught. :D

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Get the trap back up when you do. A second swarm may leave the same hive shortly.

9. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Will do. This swarm was in the place where our first swarm was.

10. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Our swarm absconded. They left the nuc and moved into the trap that we replaced the other one with. Our other hives robbed out the box and it was empty. :(

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

WBB, I don't think it got robbed out. They just absconded.... happens all the time. Hopefully we'll catch another one soon.

12. Chickm1

Chickm1 New Member

Next time, cut a piece of plastic queen excluder and staple it across the entrance of the hive body or nuc. If the queen can't leave, they ain't going no where! After they are bringing in pollen and there is eggs laid, take the excluder off. Normally, they won't leave if there is brood.

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

The queen excluder isn't a 100% fool proof method of keeeping a swarm in the hive.
    Remember after swarms could have a small virgin queen and she can fit thru the excluder. Also some of the swarm queens are small them selves and haven't been fed to make them smaller so they can fit thru also.

I had the queen excluder screwed to the bottom board rail so they had to pass thru to exit. Still lost a couple that refused to stay. Best thing I have found is put in a frame or two of brood. I bet that isn't fool proof either.

:mrgreen: Al