Swarm trap.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by alleyyooper, Jun 13, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

[​IMG]

How do you get a swarm out of this trap and into a hive?

Also would you pay $38.00 for one of them?
    I sure wouldn't!!!!!

:mrgreen: Al

2. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I bought one and no they arent worth it really!!!! I have caught 4 swarms from it though!!!!
    The bees stayed attached to the lid of mine, I set it above an empty deep and dropped them in!. Be careful where you store it. I got squirrels storing nuts in mine. Had to do a paper mache patch job on it but she keeps catching swarms. I just use old supers,nucs or deeps w/ some old dark comb. A few drops of lemongrass oil and your set.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got one a guy gave me but I have never used it. I dont hang out swarm traps but if
    I did it would be old comb in nuc boxes. If you catch a swarm in one of them buckets. Im guessin you would have to cut and band the new comb into frames or shake the bees out into a hive.

4. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I actually have mine in my driveway so I look up everytime I come or go. I see them moving in that day or he next usually. They start building comb on the bars/bumps inside the lid. I also melted some beesway into it for scent. Give it a try, why not?

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I bought one a few years ago for closer to $25. It lasted two seasons - just doesn' t hold up to the weather, even though I attached a "roof" over it. The two years I had it up, none of my hives swarmed (that I know of). This spring, I didn't have it, and I had a number of swarms.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Can't you just dump them into a hive like any other swarm? Or do you mean after they have started building comb?

$38.00? That doesn't seem all that expensive. And they are reusable and long lasting. Aren't they?

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Number one I was given the web site by another bee keeper and they listed them at $40.00 on sale for $38.00. A quick check at Mann Lake had them listed for $13.50.

I would just use a 5 frame nuc box my self for about $10.00 if you buy rather than build. Place 5 frames of plastic in there to combat wax moths at about $1.65 a frame. Use lemon grass oil as a bait or pay the $3.95 for the swarm lure from Mann Lake.

The swarms we have caught this year were touchy. We had to recapture two of them just by disturbing them in place the hive on a stand. One flew while we were gone so have no idea where they went.

With the nuc they can stay in place till the queen has started laying again then you can close them up and move them where ever.
    It has been my experince they package bees will nearly refuse to build comb on plastic but swarms will do it in a couple of days.

:D Al