Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Gently melt some old black bees wax
This reminded me that I should have posted some time back a little info on getting GREAT results on refining some of that old black beeswax. Here is a site on YouTube that stresses the first part of the cleaning processes.
Having a hard time cleaning BEESWAX? TRY THIS!

The next part is "How light-colored do you want your beeswax? IF the brown beeswax is to your taste that is great, however, what if you want something that is really pure, like for cosmetics, or lip balm? You need a box frame with a metal interior, tilted somewhat, and a removable glass top. The box should have the lower end fitted with 45 degree angled metal to exit through a slot down into a container. The sun will lighten the wax more every time you put the batch through box. Of course you use fine netting that will allow the melted wax (from the sun) to filter through and contain all of the 'garbage' from the black comb. The beeswax can be made almost as white as the newly made pure comb from a new frame.

Sorry for being quite a bit off topic, but I thought this was important and wanted to get it typed out and in front of people.

· Registered
21 Posts
IF you keep putting the wax through your wax melter over and over it will turn to an almost white color. Depending on what spectrum of color you want is when you stop. However, if being used on cosmetics I would assume that you would want the wax as pure as possible.
Good luck on the results!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts