swarm traps

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jan 29, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

"Da Rats got his soap box out again" Standing on the box megaphone in hand lets out a warning "swarm season is just around the corner." myself and a couple other mods are going to write a post dealing with the dos and donts, how to and how not tos, of building using and working with swarm traps. I would like to invite everyone to join in and give us some ideas of what direction you would like to see us take this then we will take it and run. Maybe in the opposite direction or worse yet we might shame you into writing it for us. While we are out puting up our traps :rolling: anyhow on a serious note your imput will be welcome so we can put this together TIA "da rat climbs down off the well worn box and shoves it back under the bed safely tucked away for future use" :thumbsup:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I read a thing awhile ago about an old timer that had a string of posts with a crossbar ( T ) in a line out in front of his rows of hives. The fellow he was showing his hives to asked what they were for and he said on most days that he did go out to check his hives he would usually find a swarm hanging off one of them. For the price of a few posts it seems like a reasonable approach. I have tried several times with swarm traps in my yards to catch any of my own but have struck out to date.
    Slightly off topic, I tried something slightly different last year and had good results. Everytime I went into a hive, if it looked like it was even remotely close to being crowded, I would pull 2 or 3 frames of capped honey from the sides, spread out the brood frames and dropped in frames of foundation. I only know of one hive that swarmed (I watched it) for sure. I ended up with 6 deeps full of capped honey that I put back onto any hives that I thought were light in the fall.

3. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

you might rub some lemmond grass in some 5 frame boxes and hang them 5-8 ft from ground=works. I don't use old comb=because it will get wax moths quick.
    Don

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don, have you used the product sold by Sundance (Aizawai powder) to spray on old black comb to keep the moths off. I've not used it (i did buy some) yet,but plan to this spring in my swarm traps. they say it works. I use old ten frame deeps for swarm traps, i had trouble with a few 5 frame nuc's because some of the swarms were to big and they would only stay a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks) and then leave.The lemongrass oil and old dark comb works great for me, but like Don said the wax moth can become a problem quick. Jack

PS.Aizaawai powder and certan/B401 is the samething.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes the certan works and is not a chemical.

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I use it and have had no problems. Fact is I may use it to much, but it does work.

Murrell