swarm traps?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by thatguy324, Jun 12, 2013.

1. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

a few questions on swarm trapping 1. where is the best location to put swarm traps? 2. anyone have plans for a tbh swarm trap or would it just be a nuc tbh or mini tbh? 3. does lemon grass oil work as a swarm lure? 4. how long do i leave them in the swarm trap to make sure the queen is mated? 5. is it to late to start swarm trapping in alabama? 6. how hard will it be to find and kill a queen if its ahb?

thanks

2. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yote shooter, I have read many complaints about other forums advising searching for prior posts rather than giving answers. We don't want that happening here. If you send them to prior posts, please post links taking them directly there.
    Thanks

4. ORoedel

ORoedel New Member

The best way to catch a swarm is to work with wax where you have close some empty boxes. Every time I work in my open "bee house" with wax, melting, cleaning, preparing frames etc. it takes only some days and a (or more) swarm(s) enter in a box of my stock.
    You can also keep a boardman (or something else with sugar water) feeder close to some empty hives, for sure after a while a swarm will move in one of the hives.
    If you want to have a lot of swarm boxes, the best is cardboard boxes. Bees love it. And you have nothing to loose, it´s cheap. Use plastic to cover.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you want a really good read on the topic, check out Thomas Seeley's book "Honeybee Democracy". It is probably the most definitive book on the subject.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I have collected 2 prime swarms from a bait hive (swarm trap) this week. The hive was in a garden where there are no hives. The hive was removed with the first swarm and a replacement substituted. Another prime swarm 3 days later.

A prime swarm will contain an already mated Q.

I prefer to have the bait hive entrance at thigh height.

One way to find a "houdini" Q is the 2 box system. Set an excluder on an empty box. Place another empty box on top. Shake or brush the bees into the top box. Drive the bees through the excluder with smoke and the Q should be left on top.

I don't know the Alabama season but if you try a bait hive, you might win and won't loose.

Good hunting. :thumbsup:

7. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

one more question what type of lemongrass oil do i get food grade or lemongrass oil for aromatherapy

8. ORoedel

ORoedel New Member

Plant it! You use the fresh grass in the box. I kept a flying swarm with it.A school, where the swarm passed, had an herb garden. With the grass in one hand the swarm sit on me, then i threw the grass in a cardboard box (a guy hurried to a supermarket to pick it up for me) and the bees went in... Box on motorbike and carried the bees to the new home :)
    I use it all the time when I catch or remove a swarm.

9. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

wow!! is it better to buy it at the store or grow it or is it the same?

10. ORoedel

ORoedel New Member

It´s easier to grow, then you have always fresh material. I mix it also with a (very) light sugar water to spray on bees I join together. The smell irritates the bees and nobody knows who is a sister or not.

11. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Hope this helps.
    1. Swarm trapping is like fishing, you have to trap where there are bees
    a. near existing hives
    b. near a water/food source
    c. talk to local pest control,animal control or fire dept. and ask where they get the most swarm calls from and plot it on a map and soon you will see a pattern start to form and thats the area to set your traps.

2. A trap can be a NUC or a full size hive body, it just depends on what you have.
    I run Langs and use both 5 frame NUCs and 10 frame deeps as traps with one or two drawn frames in each as I think it helps if the trap smells like home. I prefer to catch in 10 frame deeps as they are set to go and I don't have to transfer them from a NUC.

3. Lemon Grass oil seams to work pretty good, but I have had good luck using just a frame or two of drawn comb.
    You want pure LG oil which can be got at a health food store or on line. You don't need alot as a drop on a Qtip will bait a trap for the entire season, so a 1/4 oz. will last a long time.

4. Most swarms will have a mated queen already and if they don't it won't take long. The main thing is don't leave them in a small trap to long (a week tops in a NUC) or they will make a real mess with wild/cross comb.

5. The best time to catch swarms is early in the year(spring to mid summer), swarms can happen all season but the latter swarms will need more care to make it to the next spring.

6. Finding the queen can be tough unless she is marked, as Barbarian said use a shaker box, but finding the queen gets better with time.

Hope this helps you out. Jim