Swarm

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 26, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Had a swarm call 2:00pm yesterday, i told him i would be there after the farmers market 7:00pm. I got to his house around 8:00pm and sure enough there was a small two pound swarm on a rose of sharon bush about a ft. off the ground. This is about as late as i've got a swarm call, they were in a tight ball and i put the hive box next to them, cut the limb they were on and shook them on top of the frames. It's been so dry and nothing blooming (were in a dearth) for the last three weeks that i wonder what made them swarm?? I wouldn't think they would be crowded and they were a little testy, i took 5 hits. I didn't put any protection on. I'll combine them with a weak hive i've got in about a week but wonder why the would swarm this late. Jack

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

could they be an absconding swarm (created in European honeybees by starvation)?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ditto what Tec said.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the testiness might also suggest starvation????

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That probably is the cause, i put them in the bee yard this mourning (6:00am) then went to my northern bee yards to work them (take off honey and check stores for winter), out of 25 hives only two are going to need a little help. They are bringing in nectar from something (nothing is in bloom??) and all are very strong with lots of brood. When i got home (6:30pm) i checked the swarm hive and it was empty, and as i walked by the hive next to it i seen them inside of a concrete block that was on top of that hive.I was to tired and had to feed calfs to mess with them. If they are there in the mourning i'll do something with them. Thanks for your info. Jack

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well they were still there this mourning. I had a queenless hive that i have been trying to make them make a queen but haven't and it was dwindeling, so i sprayed them with honey b healthy and sugar water and dumped the swarm in on top of them and sprayed them also. I checked on them about 5:30pm and they were coming and going :thumbsup: , but now i'm going to have to feed,feed,feed, Jack