Swarmed, then returned?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by TexasnewBee, May 20, 2014.

1. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Ok this was a new one to me. I have only been messin' with bees for a little over 2 years now. I removed some bees from a flower pot, about 4 or 5 weeks ago and put them in a deep box. They were doing good. I feed them some syrup for a week or 2. Placed a second deep of empty foundation on them a couple of weeks ago. They had started drawing out about 5 frames in the upper box. Well Saturday evening they swarmed to a peach tree about 20 ft away.:shock: While I was getting everything together to go remove them and put them in another box, they ended up returning to the hive, within about 20 minutes from when they left. At the same time my wife noticed a small group of them took off. Soooo...what was that all about? :confused: I have not gone into the hive to see if there are queen cells. The flow is on and it has been really windy the last 2 days and I didn't want to disturb them.

2. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Sounds like a small group of them did swarm and the rest decided that the old queen was too bossy and took there chances with the new one. :D There had to be some swarm cells in there. I don't think they would leave without making sure the next generation was going to be OK.

3. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the comment afterburn, it was just strange to me. I had never seen so many leave just to return.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

a false swarm can be huge, they get the signal to swam and at the last minute the queen does not go so they ball up on a tree someplace take a head count and see the queens not there and return, if I were you I would go in right away and look for the queen, she could still be there and the small group that took off could have been with a virgin queen, if the old girls still there she wont be for long and neither will half the hive.