Swarming during the swarm call.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Swarming during the swarm call while calling about a swarm call

Got a call from a guy that lived not but 5 or 6 miles down the road from me with a swarm hanging from a table in his front yard. Got there, nice little football sized swarm, real friendly bees that totally ignored me altogether. After dumping them in the box and while waiting for the flyers to join the colony, we check out the bee tree they came from, he's keeping the bees in the bee tree and hopes to have a hive of his own ready to catch next year's swarms so he can keep his own bees, but then we notice them swarming again. I've never seen them while the swarm was still flying around, so that was a really neat sight for me. Anyway, they went over and landed in their neighbor's tree across the street about 25-30' up. No problem I ran home dropped off the first swarm and grabbed a tree trimming pole and bucket and lashed the bucket onto the pole then when I got back I got up on the ladder and used the pole to snip the branch that the swarm was in so the swarm landed in the bucket then took them down to the hive and dumped them in the hive.

I took video of the swarm in the air, but when I viewed it the video feature on my phone wasn't high res enough to see any of the bees flying around, so the best I could do was a few pictures of them right as they were starting to gather on the branch.

Oddly, the second swarm was bigger than the first swarm, about soccer-ball sized wheras the first was football sized.

LOTS of drones in these swarms. Probably 1 drone per 25 worker bees. That's good though, I like drones. Most people don't like drones but since I let my bees raise their own queens instead of buying pre-mated queens I like a high drone count to make sure any replacement queens get well mated.

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad you got them put up!!

Would like to see a pic of your bucket and limb trimmer rig.

You should add to you title "Swarming during the swarm call while calling about a swarm call".......Ben was calling me to pass on another call that turned out to be a swarm that had moved on yesterday, although they do have an established colony in the other end of the building and might get to do a trap out. Thanks for passing on the info Ben :thumbsup:

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh I'm glad it ended up being some bees that you could pick up today. That's a good deal right there. Are you going to go back later to do a trapout? If you do, give me a holler and if I'm free that day I'll lend a hand. I haven't gotten to work any swarm calls or cutouts with you (probably because we only pass them to each other when we're too busy to do them ourselves, right?) and sometime or another I'd like to. I have a feeling I could learn a lot that way.

I'll take a pic of the bucket/tree trimming pole rig... I have to warn you, it's nothing fancy like the sort that AC Mann makes with the rope that closes the lid and all that jazz. Mine is just a bucket duct taped to a tree trimming pole, no lid or anything. It's still in the back of my truck though, so I'll take a pic in the morning for you.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nope, no swarm. I think a swarm had maybe came there and was checking it out pretty hard and then left for reasons unknown. Could have even been a swarm from the bees in the block wall on the other end of the building.

Waiting to hear if they are wanting me to trap them out.

As far as nothing fancy, well that's me for sure!!

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Ohh, I thought there was one. Too bad. Well my neighbor called me last night around 10:30 to tell me that she saw on the news that there's a swarm out in the cedar bluff area on the sign of an athletic store somewhere out there and that they were having exterminators come today... so maybe you'll get the call from that.

Well then here you go:

Attached Files:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Will they stay in the bucket long enough for you to lower and lid it?

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like it Ben, just my style!!

I found the news clip on the bees you were talking about, they are at the house now!! :thumbsup:
    Guess if they will not call the beekeeper then the beekeeper needs to call on them :wink:
    Thanks for the tip!

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Geez G3, you must have caught up on your winter losses by now? :thumbsup:

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I have the same question .. I have seen the one from Mann Lake with the cover attached and also a demo on how to bild one from an old 5 Gal water jug with the bottom cut out ..

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you can get a big clump of them in the bucket they do pretty good. From the time you shake them in the bucket till you dump them is only a few seconds.

Think of it as the same thing as dumping a swarm in your hive, they don't all just take off immediately.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Working on it!! Need about 7 more and I will be even. Lost 18 hives and nucs.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I don't put a lid on them. I just dump them into an awaiting hive just as if I had shaken them into it.

Admittedly, that may not work in every situation, but it works for most situations where a bucket and pole are needed to reach them.​

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Awesome! My neighbor will be glad to hear that they were saved.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got some video of it, the young assistant manager was so nervous it was just plain funny. He wanted some credentials, license, insurance, call home office, call pest control guy, call other store about same situation, etc. Before posting the video have to get permission from their home office since the store name is in it :roll:. I thought free PR in a good way was a good thing! Folks are so danged scared to death of getting sued or in trouble it is unreal!

Took 2 hours to get him a certificate of insurance (perk of owning your own business) since our insurance agent was at the dentist.

But we got er done!