swarming

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so being here in the south where bees never have to hold up for the winter do the hives ever stop producing brood? and if not then will hives swarm here at any point not just spring?
    I know springs the main time for them to, Im just wondering if I should have a few swarm traps out all the time.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I keep mine out year around here in Kansas. Just as well store them in the tree as in the shop in the way

3. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Zookeep, I'm just south of you and today when I called one of my bee association people who is known to have bees (for sale? hmm...not sure now) he said, "Where are you? I'm off to get a swarm now. Bring your prepared hive." Unfortunately, by the time we got there, it had moved on, but he told me they're swarming right now. I'm really disappointed in that I didn't get to help him capture a swarm (and get bees at the same time) but now I'm much more (mentally) prepared. Kind of freaked me out. :lol: Meanwhile, I think I really amused him. But, definitely, put out a swarm trap or two!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as I have suggest to many folks here along the line of the Africanized/European hybrid bee, do be careful of the swarms you collect. at one time prior to our current state budget crisis we could send a sample and have it origin determined. we (folks from Texas) no longer have this valuable service. I would suggest that at a minimum you locate someone (the closer the better to my way of thinking) someone that can provide you with replacement queens of known origin.

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well the cut-out bees were for the most part very calm, I didnt even need smoke while reworking the screening or tweeking the hive, few headbuts but for the most part real easy to work with

6. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member