Swarms and Bee Math

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I was hoping someone could help me with my bee math homework and let me know if I should be concerned.

My hive swarmed around July 24. I did not get in there to inspect until August 16 (23 days).
    The hive is one deep and three shallows. I found two raggedy remains of queen cells, on the lower edges of the frames. The top two shallows were packed with honey, mostly capped. The lowest shallow had some honey and uncapped nectar. There did not seem to be much pollen.
    The deep had some nectar and a lot of empty space.

At first I was alarmed because there was no brood, but there were a LOT of bees in every box, and they were gentle and calm. Given the time of the swarm (+/1 a day), is it conceivable that all the existing brood has hatched, and the new queen has not started laying yet? Keep in mind also that I did not have my glasses, so if there were eggs, I may not have seen them. There was definitely no larvae or capped brood.

Any cause for concern? Estimate of approximate date I could check back and look for larvae? I did add a fourth shallow since they were starting to build comb in the inner cover hole.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Hobie! :wave:
    If your hive swarmed on the 24th, queens probably were emerging 3 or 4 days later, then give them time to duke it out, etc. so up to 20 days to start laying, I wouldn't be overly alarmed just yet. Some just take a little longer. Another week to 10 days should tell the story.
    One way to find out if things are OK is to drop a frame with eggs from another hive in and see if they try to raise another queen.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry answered well, so I'll just send a reprimand. We were very worried about you when you went so long without posting. It is mandatory that you come in and let us know all is well. Otherwise, we lay awake at night worrying. We do have rules, ya know.

:rules::rules:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Ya! :goodpost:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

okay, i will chime in hobie, not advice perry's is good,
    what iddee said about the 'reprimand':

"We were very worried about you when you went so long without posting. It is mandatory that you come in and let us know all is well. Otherwise, we lay awake at night worrying. We do have rules, ya know.
    :rules::rules:

otherwise iddee and perry send out search and rescue teams and post threads looking for awol members.........gee, i have never been guilty of being awol........:lol:

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I can vouch for Riverbee she couldn't even take a couple of week vacation with out having an amber alert issued, "has any beekeeper seen her". She will need to place a clock on the wall in the bathroom to ensure the time between posts are not to long and risk a search party being formed and sent out looking for her again.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

*hangs head in shame* (there is no smilie for this!)

My apologies to all. Time has flown by... work is busy and my new garden is sadly neglected - although it is producing mountains of squash! (One overlooked zucchini is over 2 ft long! I am just leaving it now to see how big it gets.)

I miss all of you, and promise to do better!

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well.............................................OK! :yahoo:

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The important thing is you did remember to come back

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I think there was a competition between Perry and Iddee as to who's advice was better. Fortunately, they weren't in disagreement---they were both right.
    Glad to see you posting after a long absence.
    If you can send us a picture of that zucchini I'm sure everyone will forgive you your oversight.:wink:
    Maybe Perry will even find it worthy of a slice of pie (zucchini pie?). :rotfl: