Swarms in AK

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by BeeHunter, Jul 10, 2011.

1. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Well I got my first swarm call up here in Anchorage last week!
    It was a real nice one before the owner sprayed it w/ water and 3/4 of them either died or left. Ended up w/ maybe 2 lbs worth. It was on a spruce limb 6' up and a shake and 20 min on the ground got most of them all in the box. There is suppose to be a beek close by but I dont know where so I took them to my hives and introduced them to my weaker hive w/ some newspaper place below an empty super for them. A few days later I shook the swarm into the deeps and framed up the empty super. I have 1 full super on my other hive but capping both hives has been slow. They are filling up the comb but not capping it. The temps are around upper 60's and lows upper 50's(I love those temps!!!!) so I wonder if the lower temps make it harder for the girls to draw comb? Hopefully w/ this swarm they will build up some needed comb and start capping up the sweet stuff!!!!

2. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Very nice!
    I guess swarm season up there starts a little later than here in the Midwest!

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Those are encouraging words---last summer (June, 2010) when I was in Alaska, touring from Fairbanks to Anchorage I looked and looked and didn't see a single honey bee.
    So I guess they really can overwinter up there. :chased: