Swarms

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bruce Bee, May 14, 2014.

1. Bruce Bee

Bruce Bee New Member

Today I had my first swarm ( second year in my beekeeping career). One hive swarmed into a tree about 25 yards from the hive and about 20 feet up in a tree.
    Is it imperative that I try to capture them or let them go and let the remaining bees repopulate. I don't know where the queen is. Any help will be appreciated. One super is close to full of honey and I recently put a second super on.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Man try your best to get them, the queen will be in the swarm, put them in a hive and feed them until they get some comb drawn for the queen to lay and increase the hive. The hive they swarm from will have a queen in it also, may be a young one but she will get up and go soon.

‚ÄčKen

3. Bruce Bee

Bruce Bee New Member

2 questions:
    What is the best way to capture the swarm?
    Assuming I can get them should I start a completely new hive with them or should I put another deep hive on the one they swarmed from?

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

swarms happen for the most part cause the hive is doing well and in nature thats how they propagate, the swarm will have the old queen from your hive, the hive they came from will have swarm cells in it, new queens in peanut shapes hanging off the comb, leave the old hive alone for 2 weeks for the new queen to hatch and mate, the swarm is a free hive if you can catch it, best is to put a frame or 2 of old comb in a box or better yet a frame of brood from another hive in the box, then take a 5 gallon bucket up the ladder and shake the branch so the swarm drops into the bucket and dump the bees in the box and cover it, the tree the sawrm went to might be a good place for a swarm trap, a old hive box with a frame of old comb in it placed in the tree.

5. Bruce Bee

Bruce Bee New Member

Thanks Zookeep. This is a big help to a novice.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

anytime I can help just shoot me a msg and I wil do what i can:thumbsup: