Swiss chard(sp?)

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by brooksbeefarm, May 22, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well i planted some and it's growing good. Now what do you do with it :confused: I know you eat it but how do you fix it ? Anyone ever grow it.I gave 25 cents for it when the MFA store was closing out there seeds in the fall, now what. :mrgreen: Jack

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm not much of a cook, so my approach is simple. I steam it like spinach. Wash the leaves, tear it up, and steam. You can eat the stems, too, but some people find them stringy. I personally don't mind. Like spinach, you have to cram the steaming pot absolutely full, because it shrinks incredibly. I also use it like spinach in pasta dishes.

Not sure if it is any good raw. ??

I love chard. You chop it off... it grows back. You can harvest all year. If you cover it in the fall, it will often winter over and you will have early chard in the spring. (but those plants tend to go to seed faster.)

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I like to chop it and put it in sauted dishes with garlic.

4. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

I do all of the above, and eat the baby greens in salad. I've pickled the big stems in the fall. Great vegetable.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'll have to try some soon. I've been tempted but haven't worked up the courage yet.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

7. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Jack,
    You can make a wilted salad like spinach w/ vinegar sugar and bacon, mmmm I'm hungry now

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Beehunter, We can have some when you and your wife come down this weekend, if you have time :thumbsup: , Jack

9. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

sounds good. Hopefully I can get away for a while between the swarm calls! I got 3 call before 9am this morning! The madness has begun!

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Thanks for the link Omie!!! Great information there. I had to get some milk so I picked up a packet of seeds while I was there. I think I'll throw some at the dirt tomorrow (unless it is raining again!) while I take out the bolted lettuce.