Switching box size

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I have 3 hives with a feral or 2 hives coming in the Spring. This Spring 2012 I want to move from 1 deep and 2 mediums into 2 deeps.
    When do I give them the new deep with wax foundation? Early Spring before thay explode?
    Where should I put it; bottom, top?

This will also give me 6 fully drawn medium supers for honey if needed and it works out.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

If you need to draw foundation you will have to feed light syrup, 1:2 or wait for the flow to add supers. It makes little difference if you top super or put them on the bottom. Everyone has their own way and that is the best way.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

As ABK said "everyone has their own way." I usually top super because it's my feeling that the bees work their way upward.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm wanting to change their brood box configuration. Ridht now it's 1 deep with 2 mediums on top. I want to change that and make it 2 deeps. So I will be taking away 2 mediums and replacing it with 1 deep.

Where and when should I put the new deep undrawn brood box? On top of the original fully drawn deep or below?

The mediums I removed can be stored away and used for honey supers as needed.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Are you talking about pulling the 2 mediums while they have brood in them?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Place the deep on top the existing deep just before the flow in the spring. Harvest the mediums as they are filled and capped.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

No...I need to try and find just the right time to stick the undrawn deep under them and hope they move down and stop laying in the mediums. I could try a queen excluder to find the queen and isolate her to the deeps. Then when all the brood is hatched out of the mediums I'll be set. But I want them to build comb in the new deep not just skip over it or swarm thinking they don't have any more comb above.

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

IMHO, I think Iddee hit the nail on the head.

Before the spring flow, but after the weather warms up enough to prevent chilled brood, make sure the queen is in the bottom deep, add another deep just above the existing deep, put the excluder on top of that, put your 2 mediums on top, close it up and let nature take it's course.
    The brood in the mediums will hatch, and the excluder will prevent her majesty from going back up there.

I'm a first year beek, but from what I've learned here-that seems to be the way to go.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would not move the queen. I would not use an excluder. Just place the deep under the supers and as the nectar comes in, they will store it in the top and move the brood nest down. Split the queen away from the brood and they may raise a new queen in the supers. Then you have a fight.

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Thanks Iddee. That's a new one on me. I didn't realize they would raise a new queen in the same colony.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Think "cloak board". The empty box and the excluder would work the same.