switching hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by dwight, Mar 27, 2011.

1. dwight

dwight New Member

I have had a top bar hive last yr that did pretty good , but when I tried to harvest the comb it would break off the bar and fall to bottom of hive , SO , I switched to a Beemax hive , or should I say , I'm trying to switch. I have the new hive set up and in position , have found the queen and moved her and 4 bars from the tbh to the Beemax. How do Iget the other 20 bars of bees to move over? There is good egglaying and ample honey in the old hive, will they stay there and raise a new queen or what , this is my second yr in the area of bee raising, all help apreciated many thanks in advance
    dwight in amarillo

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

You moved the Queen and 4 bars. Is there bees and brood on the 4 bars?

In the old hive you say good egglaying and ample honey, is there uncapped eggs in that brood? If so they could raise a Queen.

What made the comb break off the bars? was it heat or during handling?

3. dwight

dwight New Member

Yes there are bees , brood and honey on them, I was hoping they would transfer off the bars onto the frames, and yes thers are uncapped and nearly ready to hatch , the comb broke I think because of a combination of heat , being honey laden and possible me getting in a wrong angle.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You have to move all brood comb if you want the bees to move over. They will not abandon brood. If they had 3 day old larva or younger when the queen left, Yes, they will raise a new queen. If not, they will stay there and become a laying worker hive, which you do NOT want.