Switching hives?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

What do you all think about switching the position of hives to even out the populations in the colonies? If I move my ridiculously large hive to where a smaller one is and vice versa, do you think this is a good idea? Or would you just split the large hive? I'm leaning toward the switch because I just plain don't want more hives. Love to know what everyone thinks.

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

If you don't want to split, then yes, you can switch places. Do it when foragers are out.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Like Marbees says.
    Keep in mind that when switching positions, you'll be enriching one hive with foragers while the other will be losing them. If the queen of the weaker hive is at fault and not performing well, the strengthening may be only temporary, unless she picks up her laying and continues to supply new brood to keep up with the stronger hive.

4. Tia

Tia New Member

No issues with any of my queens (thank goodness). All my hives are doing well. . .lots of brood and honey. . .it's just that this one hive is huge!!! I can't seem to give them enough boxes! Three mediums wall to wall in brood, larva and eggs. . .perfect conformation with the rim of pollen and outer edges stuffed with honey; two mediums on top full up with honey (time to harvest!).

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The switching will work, but what I would do is add more supers or harvest and return, and go for honey.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

A switch is generally done to strengthen a weak hive. It sounds like you want to weaken a strong hive. That's a bad decision. The stronger the hive, the more efficient it is at collecting honey. Like Iddee says, "add more supers or harvest and return". By switching, you're going to bury a gold mine. Of course, all this assumes there's honey coming in.

7. Tia

Tia New Member

Good point! When you phrase it that way, "weaken a strong hive" it puts things in perspective. Nectar flow is amazing here. . .two large harvests already and the girls are working like crazy, so I'll follow your advice. Harvest again this weekend. I like that better