Syrup Consumption

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Larus, May 4, 2011.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

How much 1:1 syrup does a newly installed 3# package of bees consume per day? I know the answer is not one number, but a range of numbers, depending on weather, other forage available, e.t.c. Still, can anyone give me the idea of the mean and standard deviation?

By my estimate, 95% of the bees that came in the packages are still alive. The weather is consistently highs in the 50s/60s, lows somewhere in the 30s, so they cluster every night. Today is a gorgeous sunny day, but the next three days in a row will be rainy. I will feed them today (Wednesday) and I'd like the syrup to last til Sunday. With those things in mind, I just wanted to make a rough estimate of how much syrup I should give them so they don't run out, but that it also doesn't stagnate.

Thanks very much.

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

IDK Laurus as I am new to this as well. I got my 2 nuc colonies. I put a quart sized entrance feeder and they emptied it in a day1/2. I now have a top feeder with floating platform on each hive. I have pollen in one side and 1/2 gallon of sugar syrup in the other. That is lasting 2 days. I got some pollen patties from Brushy Mnt. and will put those in the top feeders when we leave on our 9 day vacation. Should be plenty of flowers blooming by then as well (mid-May).

How are you feeding them?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A quart a day sounds about average, so 1 gallon for 4 days should suffice.

4. Larus

Larus New Member

Thanks. I'll go with 1 quart per day as an estimate.

I have the top feeder with floating platform on each hive. I gave them about 2.5 quarts per hive on Sunday, and Monday afternoon it didn't look like they consumed very much. But Monday was sunny and warm, yesterday was chilly and windy all day. Today I'll give them about a gallon per hive.

Out here in Southern Wisconsin, the general consensus is not to bother with pollen patties. Right now the maple, oak and willow bloom is in full swing, and dandelions are starting to come out, so abundant pollen forage everywhere. The experience of most local beekeepers is that the bees ignore the patties and go foraging for pollen. My bees seem to have done the same.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the more comb the worker's in the package pull (make into comb) the more space they have for storage. soooo.... it the purist of sense the sugar water is not being consume (instantly) and may largely explain why the question 'how much' sugar water to feed is a tough question.