Syrup vs fondant vs sugar?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by twinclw, Dec 15, 2011.

1. twinclw

twinclw New Member

My daughter & I just fed dry sugar to our hives primarily for the ease of doing it, time & temprature - wise. Does syrup or fondant have any overpowering benefits that would cause us to change to one over the other?

We wanted to feed them as soon as possible because both hives appear to be a wee-bit understaffed at present.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not knowing your current temps, I am still going to suggest no syrup, too late in the year to be adding moisture to your hive. I prefer fondant but the price up here has jumped from $45 to $64 for a 20 kg bucket. Dry sugar will work if done correctly. There is currently discussion on it on another thread here. See Bjorn' s post and link.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I just make a 2 kg patty and set it right on top of the inner cover hole with a spacer around it, then the outer cover. Worked well for me.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In the weather we are having, dry sugar will likely be carried out and disposed of, as debris.

If the weather turns cold, water in the hive is deadly.

That only leaves fondant or a candy board. ""Search for candy board if not familiar with it""

We are having 70 degree days here, where this same date a few years ago we had 17 inches of snow. You can't plan on what it will be here this time of year. If you do feed sugar water, make it 2 sugar to 1 water, volume or weight. Equal amounts will cause the queen to lay too much and you will just have that many more mouths to feed.

4. twinclw

twinclw New Member

Thank you. Thanks for the speedy reply PerryBee. I guess I have some reading to do. I'll search out Bjorn's dry sugar info and weigh our options for present and future. I'm quite a lazy keeper and the dry sugar seemed s-o-o-o easy. But, right now, I think I'll do as you and Iddee have suggested... IF my daughter will make some fandant with your recipe and then we'll go moist fondant instead of dry sugar. Again, thank you both.

We hope to make the change tomorrow. Noon forecast is for 68 degrees, some clouds and light wind.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip:
    Does syrup or fondant have any overpowering benefits that would cause us to change to one over the other?

tecumseh:
    fondant has less water and more feed and syrup (depending on concentration) may induce a bit of brood but alway more water into the hive than fondant or a candy board.

there was a nice video link on the board (somewhere... can't recall the thread's title right now???) about using pretty standard equipment (empty shell and a queen excluder), sugar and just a bit of water to produce a candy board (really more an intermediate between just plain sugar and a true candy board) that would produce candy board results with out all the mess and fuss (heat and labor) required of a true candy board.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member