Syrup water

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rast, Dec 6, 2009.

1. rast

rast New Member

Which do you think is better for making syrup? Water ran through a salt type water softener or water with a lot of calcium and some iron in it.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

calcium and some iron.

3. Tia

Tia New Member

Undoubtedly well water is best before it goes through the water softener/filter, but it's too much trouble for me to go to an outside spigot to get the water for my sugar syrup so I use the kitchen tap water and my bees are doing just fine, thank you.

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We've always used our tap water too, which is county water, and our bees are fine. Although we do bring the water to boiling before we put the sugar in so that most likely cleans the water pretty good.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I use water from the well, it's so hard you could ring a bell with it (lots of limestone). but my bees do just fine with it. Jack

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't think the bees care as long as there's no chlorine in it. City water should set out overnight before using.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We boil the chlorine out of our water. Our water is pretty hard too but the bees don't seem to care.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I just boil my water also and then pour into the sugar, stir it up good.

G3

9. No_Bivy

No_Bivy New Member

well I screwed up then...... I have city water, and never boil. Just add water to full sugar jars until it completely dissolves. Bees sucked down 580+ lbs of sugar....dont know how much water they cycled through. But it was a lot. All are alive and kickn'. Heck, I have 50ish Bonsai trees in pots.....all get the same water as bees..unless its raining. :beg: bees and trees are both doing well :drinks:

10. rast

rast New Member

Thanks all, I like that, "hard enough to ring a bell". Hard water here in the barn where I make it, soft water up yonder in the house.
    I saw a post about syrup crystallizing. I use a propane deep fryer with a bucket on it and bring the water to a boil and then start pouring the sugar in slowly and stirring. Keeping the water just below or at boiling, never a rolling boil. As long as it's clear when done its OK. If its cloudy, it'll crystallize.
    Only chlorine here is in the washing machine.

11. the kid

the kid New Member

I have heard that the chlorine in the swimeing pools , is what helps bring the bees to the pools ,, or because this is stored ,that would be why you don't want chlorine in the water ??????

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Chlorine won't stay in water. It will evaporate within a day or so. It may not hurt them, but it is a deadly poison in a strong enough concentration. What that amount is for bees, I don't know. I would rather be safe than sorry.

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Pump it out of the creek, they seem to like it just fine all summer.

[​IMG]

Of course you have to bring in the pump after every use when it is freezing outside.

:mrgreen: Al

14. rast

rast New Member

You mean the irrigation canal off the marsh behind me? No deer, just those dadburn otters.

15. rast

rast New Member

It will if you put that stable stuff in your pool.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They don't put that stable stuff in city water. :p

17. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

What you need to do is bring in some of that good venison!

As far as water goes, I've been using the spring water my wife buys at the store... it's probably just filtered tap water though. Next year I'll just use filtered tap water that I filter myself.

18. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Whatever you have.

19. jdpro5010

jdpro5010 New Member

O.K. guys here it is lol. First chlorine does not evaporate so to speak, it reacts with things. In the case of exposing it to air it is reacting with the bacteria in the air and using itself up. I would not feed chlorinated water to the bees if I had another option, but chances are it won't do much to the bees anyhow. To the best of my knowledge the bees will get very very little if any nutrition from the minerals in the water. It will be much easier to dissolve the sugar into the water if you use water such as distilled or reverse osmosis processed water. If you use a R/O water you will be able to mix 2 to 1 syrup with very little if any heat and the sugar will dissolve without too much trouble. Whether you use softened water or not will not effect anything. It will not make your syrup dissolve any better, or add ,very little of anything (sodium chloride) to make the syrup bad to the bees. So in my opinion let the bees get their nutrition from their food and mix your syrup in the easiest fashion available to you.

20. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Well said :thumbsup: