Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you think is better for making syrup? Water ran through a salt type water softener or water with a lot of calcium and some iron in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Undoubtedly well water is best before it goes through the water softener/filter, but it's too much trouble for me to go to an outside spigot to get the water for my sugar syrup so I use the kitchen tap water and my bees are doing just fine, thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
We've always used our tap water too, which is county water, and our bees are fine. Although we do bring the water to boiling before we put the sugar in so that most likely cleans the water pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,996 Posts
I don't think the bees care as long as there's no chlorine in it. City water should set out overnight before using.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
well I screwed up then...... I have city water, and never boil. Just add water to full sugar jars until it completely dissolves. Bees sucked down 580+ lbs of sugar....dont know how much water they cycled through. But it was a lot. All are alive and kickn'. Heck, I have 50ish Bonsai trees in pots.....all get the same water as bees..unless its raining. :beg: bees and trees are both doing well :drinks:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, I like that, "hard enough to ring a bell". Hard water here in the barn where I make it, soft water up yonder in the house.
I saw a post about syrup crystallizing. I use a propane deep fryer with a bucket on it and bring the water to a boil and then start pouring the sugar in slowly and stirring. Keeping the water just below or at boiling, never a rolling boil. As long as it's clear when done its OK. If its cloudy, it'll crystallize.
Only chlorine here is in the washing machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Iddee said:
I don't think the bees care as long as there's no chlorine in it. City water should set out overnight before using.
I have heard that the chlorine in the swimeing pools , is what helps bring the bees to the pools ,, or because this is stored ,that would be why you don't want chlorine in the water ??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,996 Posts
Chlorine won't stay in water. It will evaporate within a day or so. It may not hurt them, but it is a deadly poison in a strong enough concentration. What that amount is for bees, I don't know. I would rather be safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Pump it out of the creek, they seem to like it just fine all summer.



Of course you have to bring in the pump after every use when it is freezing outside.

:mrgreen: Al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mean the irrigation canal off the marsh behind me? No deer, just those dadburn otters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Iddee said:
Chlorine won't stay in water. It will evaporate within a day or so. It may not hurt them, but it is a deadly poison in a strong enough concentration. What that amount is for bees, I don't know. I would rather be safe than sorry.
It will if you put that stable stuff in your pool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
alleyyooper said:


Of course you have to bring in the pump after every use when it is freezing outside.

:mrgreen: Al
What you need to do is bring in some of that good venison!

As far as water goes, I've been using the spring water my wife buys at the store... it's probably just filtered tap water though. Next year I'll just use filtered tap water that I filter myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
O.K. guys here it is lol. First chlorine does not evaporate so to speak, it reacts with things. In the case of exposing it to air it is reacting with the bacteria in the air and using itself up. I would not feed chlorinated water to the bees if I had another option, but chances are it won't do much to the bees anyhow. To the best of my knowledge the bees will get very very little if any nutrition from the minerals in the water. It will be much easier to dissolve the sugar into the water if you use water such as distilled or reverse osmosis processed water. If you use a R/O water you will be able to mix 2 to 1 syrup with very little if any heat and the sugar will dissolve without too much trouble. Whether you use softened water or not will not effect anything. It will not make your syrup dissolve any better, or add ,very little of anything (sodium chloride) to make the syrup bad to the bees. So in my opinion let the bees get their nutrition from their food and mix your syrup in the easiest fashion available to you.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top