T-Shirts

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by PerryBee, Aug 20, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Did a quick search and couldn't find it. I was sure I saw a picture of Iddee at a bee meeting and he was wearing a BeekeepingForums.Com t-shirt.
    Are these for sale somewhere? If not, could a person make one up at a t-shirt place? Copyright?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had it made locally. As for copyright, Charles would have to answer that one. I can have you one made if you want it. I would have to get with Charles about the price and design.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Add a dollar to the cost and put it towards the cost of the forum. :)

5. Charles

Charles New Member

I don't mind if you make yourself a t-shirt Perry :) I think Wally just used some iron on stencils to make his.

When I get some time this winter maybe I'll get with a silkscreen company and make some really cool looking ones :)

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'll be the first to put my request in now! (no pressure Charles)
    Are they done yet?
    Are they done yet?
    :lol:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""When I get some time""

Better make your own, Perry. Charles hasn't had any time I know of since he moved to Denver. I think he had more time when he was working full time. :shock:

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I think Perry's picture ought to be on the front of every one of them!
    :lol:

[​IMG]

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Have you shipped yet?

10. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I don't mean to make a stink about this. But a warning. I think it is great that members want to represent the group. I also think it is even better that they are given the freedom to do so.
    I also believe that there is a need to give it some direction. and here is why.
    nearly 9 years ago I was invited to join a brand new group for penturners. When I first visited that group the threads where completely empty. not one post was in any thread. as you can imagine it did not look like much more than a lot of hope. There was not alot there to indicate what it woudl become. Even at that tiem I had a very clear idea of what I expected it to become, I was not even close. that one group alone in less than two years become the single most powerful influence on the craft of penturning that i have ever seen. it not only has completely redefined what penturning is today. it has a tremendous impact on what products suppliers even offer. It has made other businesses even possible.
    even more amazing is that when this group was started. penturning was looked at as something people do when they really don't know how to turn. today as a direct result of that group nearly every woodworking or woodturning magazine in print has a section devoted to the craft of penturning. it has become an accepted branch of turning arts. It is not so much a woodworking art as the group has replaced wood as the most common material to make pens from with many other materials.

At the top of this page is what would amount to a logo. This penturning group also has a logo. One that much thought and effort went into designing. very early on I and several others recognize the beginnings of the influence the group might have. and we layed out the logo and it's use. it was st with specific colors to be used. what size it codl be printied in. where it coudl be displayed what content it could not be displayed along with items it could not be printed on etc. very early one we had someone give us a heads up to just how important that logo may become. it was a symbol of everything we had built. and it needed to represent us in the same spirit of quality that we had applied ourselves to in building that group. Today following that advice has become invaluable. That logo is now recognized among groups of woodworkers and turners like most people recognize Coca Cola. That it is everywhere looking exactly the same and is not allowed to be displayed in places that woudl muddy our name is very important.

We also encouraged the free use of the logo but we provided the images. we provided the files that could be taken to the printer. We not only allowed the use of the logo. we encouraged it and provided the very means to get your hands on it. It seemed the logo popped up everywhere over night. and it caused many to see it and wonder just what was this IAP thing.

You never know what this may become. protect it's name and any symbol that represents it carefully.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is some great advice, we seem to be growing at a pretty good clip.

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

Charles, our member Adam Foster Collins has some really nice designs for t-shirts, check Violet Design and The BeeNut Gallery

It would be only natural if design for our t-shirt come from one of our own:smile: IMO

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I had to google pen turner. :oops:

14. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Slowmodem, I just googled it also. Having been involved in it so much I have never really thought abotu what might come up if it was searched.

I didn't mean to be so clandestine in my post. the group I am talking about is the International Association of Penturners . Or IAP.

The link to the group is here for anyone that is curious.
    http://penturners.org/

Keep in mind that 8th anniversary was last February.

Browse the photos and keep in mind that when this group started nearly all pens where made out of wood. That an expensive piece of wood was considered $5.00 and that a top dollar pen was around $70. There was al ot of argument about ever being able to sell one for $300. my top dollar pen right now is priced at $2000. The next next one is $700.

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

OK. That is definitely not woodworking on lathes! :)

Thanks for the explanation :)

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

**HIJACK ALERT***Daniel, I am a member over there at IAP...I joined in 2006 but only have like 23 postings. Great resource site. I have been turning pens since early 2000's. Handle over this "opie."

17. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Well wonderful to meet you. I was actually a member of that group about a week before it was officially open for business. Served on it's very short lived board of directors. and was the person that wrote the original draft of it's mission statement. My focus in that group has always been the new person just starting out and for the most part it still does a good job of that.
    I also was the person that started group buys. I know now you are saying yeah yeah sure you are. But I really was. It all started with the CA Glue that Mannie sells. I built that program and then turned it over to him to run and he has ran it non stop for 8 years now.

Anyway nice hearing from you and hope you are still turning a pen now and then. IF you are interested in a trade I love collecting pens from other turners. skill level is not an issue. I like having work from others with the same interest.

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Anyone caught Hi-Jacking a thread will be fined. One pen for each admin is the fine we charge. Anyone posting to the Hi-Jacked thread to carry it forward will be fined 2 pens for each admin.

19. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience Daniel!

20. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Okay in way of paying my fine. T-shirts. I think it would be amazing if the group. or those that choose to participate. come together and actually design the artwork.
    1. T-shirts do not have to be a logo.
    2. you can have more than one.
    3. T-shirts are a great way to get as weird as you want. And comedy works very well.

So you could have a T-shirt that has the logo in approved colors, size. font etc. at the breast pocket but then put anything you want on the back torso of the front etc. That way you get logo recognition and a T-shirt with some attitude.