Table Saw + Carelessness = Oops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Daniel, Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. One of the EMT's, after checking the workshop for any "residue", asked why I wasn't using the "orange push tool". I said that I was, it was the other side of the blade that got me. :sad:

Thanks again.

Walt

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Hope it heals quickly.... I have a very healthy respect for my saws, and only use push stick , mostly scrap pieces.

I am however scared of the large jointer, that actually scares me as I saw all fingers on one hand get mushed on that as a kid,

bandsaw I am probably the most blasé ........

if I had the money I would consider a Saw Stop, because my 13 yr old son is now also working in my shop,,,,....they work very well

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Daniel. Post some pics so we can see . Sounds good but I can't see it

4. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

A "bit" of good news today. Had an appointment with the surgeon this morning. The examination was "iffy". Looks like "most" of the thumb is doing OK; one part of the tip looked very white, but the other side looked like it had blood flow. :dontknow: A lot less bandage now, and I go back in a week for another look. All in all, a lot better than I thought it would be turning out. :grin:

Again, thanks for all the well wishes.

Walt

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That's great news---we look forward to hearing continued reports of positive progress. :grin:

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    What ef said.
    Wishing you a quick recovery.

7. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Hi all. Met with the surgeon today...had x-rays prior to the exam. He came in and said, "How's the thumb?" and I responded, "Not good." After we removed the bandage for x-rays, it was evident that there were areas not getting nourishment. I have a Monday appointment for surgery to remove about 1/3 of the thumb.

Hey, I did it, and it could have been worse. I still have 2/3 of a thumb. :thumbsup: (maybe not the best smiley :wink:) The bees are probably enjoying this...every time I plan to steal their honey, I go in for surgery. :grin: Stay healthy and safe,

Walt

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Walt, sorry to hear that all of the thumb wont make it. Probably better to have it gone though, rather than there but no feeling etc. My cousins husband lost a forefinger on left hand and because it was compensation case it seems they were obligated to attempt reattachment. It "took", after a fashion but he claims it is only an ornament and more in the road than functional.

best wishes,

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Walt, I admire your ability to stay upbeat. I pray that after this coming treatment all will continue A-OK.

10. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Frank, Ef, Thanks for the well wishes. I spent a portion of this latest visit trying to make the surgeon feel better. :smile:

Walt

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Something that has taken me a long time to learn (Thanks Ef), is that ones outlook on things play a huge role in one's happiness and contentment. Walt, you're gonna be just fine! :wink: :thumbsup: Your words speak volumes.

12. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Thanks Perry. It's tough not to be positive on this forum. :thumbsup: But, you can bet that, before the surgery on Monday, I'm going to make sure the surgeon got a good night's rest and nothing is bothering him. :grin:

Walt

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Walt, sorry to hear what happened, hope everything goes just fine on Monday. :thumbsup:

14. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Well, this "roller coaster" is on the upswing. Doc said he cut a "wedge" of dead tissue out and that my thumb will be "narrower", but that will be the only difference (hope it doesn't look like a bird talon :wink:). I was under a "local" and wasn't "asleep" as long as the first op. As such, when I heard the surgeon say, "That looks good.", I responded, "You da man!". At one point a couple of nurses and I were singing along with the music piped into the O.R. (Hotel California).

Severe pain last night and tonight I am actually able to do things with the "bad" hand. Things looking up :thumbsup: I'll let you know when I'm playing with the bees.

Walt

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That's two, I say two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Walt.

Now where can I buy a recording of that. :lol:

16. Marbees

Marbees Member

One on the left looks kinda "narrower" to me.:grin:
    Sorry Walt, couldn't resist

17. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

This is probably the last in the saga. Went for the post op visit today. After unwrapping the surgeon said, "I know it looks kind of grotesque..." I interrupted and said I thought it looked good. :thumbsup: He agreed. He was worried that I would only see the swelling and discoloration. The thumb will be about 1/4" (6mm) shorter than the other one and possibly a little narrower. Other than that, everything's OK.

I can now change the bandages and wash the thumb...carefully. :yahoo:Asked if I could do some brush cutting and other work around here and he said I could do what I want. I told him if that was the case, there would probably be a couple of pounds of honey when I came for the next check up. He was thrilled...says his family goes through about a quart of honey a month.

I know I'm rambling, but I'm just thrilled! I'm going to have to do something nice for my wife...she's been a brick the last few weeks; now she's very relieved. Thought I'd show the thumb progression (bandages) over the last month.

Thumb 1.jpg Thumb 2.jpg Thumb 3.jpg

Guess I'll get ready to do some shredding. :wink:

Walt

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Glad everything went so well Walt! :grin:

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Absolutely time for a celebration! Since Perry didn't give you a pie,I'll try my hand at it.[​IMG]

Truth be told, another pie from Perry would still be worthy of the event.

20. kebee

kebee Active Member

Glad for you Walt, here hoping you never go through that again.

Ken