Taking a hive out of the gene pool, how aggressive does it have to be?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Lburou, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

Took some bees out of a brick post today. They seemed gentle enough....before I started. I gave them a few puffs before unloading the pickup. Then another couple puffs -some might say not to use smoke on cut outs, but I tried it today. Pretty soon there was a cloud of bees around me headbutting and stinging my clothes, gloves and veil. There were a fair number blocking my vision. I stopped for a moment to ponder whether or not my protective equipment was going to be adequate. It was. I had gone in 'overprotected' but, as it turned out, it was good to wear a painter's overalls, an Ultra breeze jacket and leather gloves. Three got into my veil, that was all -operator error ;)

It felt like I was out in the rain, but instead of raindrops hitting me all over, it was the bees.

I decided not to keep these bees. In fact I decided to take them out of the gene pool. A sad, sad act for me, but seemed necessary. Wall to wall brood, didn't see any nectar or honey. Saw at least two queen cells, maybe they were queenless and making an emergency queen....?

Did I over react?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not sure where Peach Plantation, TX is at but you are far enough south that they could be a little africanized.

3. Lburou

Lburou Member

Yes, it is. May send a sample in for testing. Except for the lack of bearding, these bees fit the descriptions for AHB. Even if they are not, in my view, bees like these should be eliminated from the local gene pool, they'd probably be OK in Tennessee though. ;)

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nope don't like the aggressive bees either, use to keep the little black German bees and they were extra mean like you are describing above.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there is a fairly simple behavioral test you can do to test for the defensive tendencies of a hive that is basically counting the number of stings on a black fuzzy ball dangled in front of the entrance after you have tapped on the hive three time with a hammer (lightly of course). I myself think that some process like this might be useful to make the beekeeper aware of the various levels of defensive qualities of a hive but at the end of the day (and like almost anything where quality is really the overlying factor) most folks do have an good approximating idea of what is too much or too little with resorting to any process. I myself will give a hive that seems overly defensive a second chance but it will not get a third. IMHO...Removing these kind of bees from the gene pool is the proper thing to do.

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I think I may try this

7. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Help this beginner out. Isn't this a requeening fix?

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

That is what my inner voice was saying as I started to wire the brood comb to the frame. That voice was drowned out by the bees. Over the internet is a difficult venue to convey the ferocity of the attack. This take out was on a golf course, just thirty feet from a path for golf carts. It only took a few moments to realize that I didn't have a location for them until they straightened out -unless I took them down near Dublin, TX (location of one of Lazy shooter's homes) ;) Nor, did I have the desire. Believe me, I really wanted those bees to work out. Safety of the residents and golfers was a big factor as well. Guess I'll get a black target and keep in the bee box and use it before I start. :)

I guess they were not AHB, they only chased me 200 ft until I could take my jacket off.

Thanks for the support and opinions. :)