--Taking pics--

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Buzzen, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

Hi everybody. I have a question about taking pics of your hive inspections. I don't have anyone to take pics of my frames and was wondering how you all do it. My wife won't come close enough and i can't do it myself, any ideas?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

give her a telephoto lens ;)

How about one of those fancy frame rest that goes on the side of your brood box, I think they will hold three frames at a time.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

A frame-grip (tool) will allow you to hold the frame with one hand while operating a simple camera with the other hand.

Or you can set the frame down on a flat surface to take the picture, but there's an inherrent danger that it'll tip over with the slightest breeze when you do that though, so I don't recommend it, but I've done it myself a time or two... and had a few tip over on me too.

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I have a small camera that fits inside my shirt pocket. I turn it on before I need it and simply take the pictures holding the frame with one hand and the camera with the other. Mine has an "anti shake" feature that I use to prevent blurred photos but I don't always use it.

Almost all of these were taking by me. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3155 It's obvious I had help on a few but most of the inspections were done one handed.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

To those that take the time to post pictures, thanks. I know first hand that is not very efficient to be doing your beekeeping and taking pictures at the same time. Gloves coming off and going on, etc. Then you have the additional effort of downloading, switching over to a pic account, and then transferring to your post. (my bucket account is filling up, hope there's no limit :mrgreen: )
    But it really helps make the posts more informative as well as interesting.
    :thumbsup:

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

I do much the same , small camera with me and the large camera if I really need it sitting on the bench behind the hives.

7. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

Thanks for the good ideas everyone! I looked up the frame grip and got one coming. It looks like that would make removing the frames much easier for this newb, as well as holding for pics too.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i usually pay iddee to tag along to take the pics. But the white of his belly keeps reflecting in the camera so I am yet to be able to post a good pic of the girls :D

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

You only need to put your photos on your computer. I have a folder labeled Bees 2011. You can upload photos from your computer right to this website using the "manage attachment" feature when you click "post reply". So no photobucket needed.

I got my wife a full bee suit. Now she wouldn't miss coming out to the hives to help me inspect. It is fascinating!

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I must be missing something, I don't see "manage attachment" anywhere or "post reply" either.
    When I respond to a post, all I see is "preview" or "submit"?
    Clearly I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to being computor savy. :oops:

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

you need to go down below the "preview submit" buttons and click on the "post reply" button for more options :thumbsup:

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry, what does it say on the next line below preview and submit?
    It should say new topic and post reply, each in a small window.
    click on the post reply.
    Then at the bottom of the window, in the blue line, it says upload attachment.
    Below that, click on browse and it will display your computer content.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Test!

Attached Files:

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is nice to know, now I can skip photobucket. If the image is deleted off my computor will it still show up on the forum?

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

and it automatically resizes the pics too, that is what I like the best, but you can still enlarge them and even blow them up to boot.

Goofy looking carrot, you don't live near a nuclear dump site do ya?? :lol: :lol:

18. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Perry do you live close by a nuclear waste disposal site. Them carrots sure dont look like the ones we grow. :D

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Them are "Canadian" carrots!
    When they're ready to eat, they walk themselves into the kitchen, real polite like! :mrgreen:

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

If you delete the pics off of your computer we can still see them. In fact, we can all now see the entire contents of your computer.......JUST KIDDING LOL!