Talk to me about anaphylactic shock?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by onehorse, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. onehorse

    onehorse New Member

    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Well, the cutout for Sunday didn't go exactly as planned (no, the ambulance and chest pains were not factored in originally). Fiance' got nailed about 12 - 15 time (his estimate) in the wrists, as a less then happy clump of bees fell down the cuff of his glove. I don't know if one bee got him in a vein or he just didn't remove all the vein sacs or he panicked which just made bad that much worse, but he got bad chest pains, changed about 4 color, and went numb to the point for a hospital run. Diagnosis is anaphylactic shock. We are working on getting an appointment with an allergist to sort things out, but I am looking for information from the other side of things. Now, I know that when I have gotten stung a bunch, I can get a headache, feel nausea, etc, and it subsides in a bit. This year, I haven't had near the symptoms as last year. Talked with a friend today about it, he's been stung upto 35 times in a short period of time and had similiar symptoms that I did, but not to the point of chests pains and such. What are the chances that this is a fluke? That this is going to end his beekeeping adventures? Experiences? Questions for the allergist? Etc?

    Thanks for listening!
     
  2. G3farms

    G3farms New Member

    Messages:
    5,162
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    wow that sounds pretty bad for him, hope he is feeling better.

    Is this the first time getting that many stings or having a reaction to stings?

    I hope it was just a fluke from getting excited.

    Really don't know what to add or ask, sorry!
     

  3. Iddee

    Iddee New Member

    Messages:
    8,996
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    You don't mention a rash, swelling of the lips, or extreme itching away from the stings. All those are normally associated with anaphylactic shock. I would take him to a different doctor for a second opinion.
     
  4. cow pollinater

    cow pollinater New Member

    Messages:
    143
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I think before I married him(which I wouldn't since he is a he... but you get my drift :lol: ) I'd drag him out to a flowering plant with a pair of forceps and a bottle of benadryl and see what happens with ONE sting in a fleshy area. He got a big dose of venom in a concentrated area with lots of nerves. That made him a prime suspect for a bad reaction. I think I'd do a little test before I'd hang up the smoker.
    My wife and I use stings for pain relief and I run about two hundred hives so I get stung alot. We have found that stings around the wrists/elbows can be really potent. I've had days where I get stung twenty times in various places and then that afternoon when I sting my own elbow for pain relief( three times right on the funnybone) my toes tingle, I have numbness, and my earlobes tingle. :confused: It's not uncommon for me to feel as though I stung myself on a nerve on the oposite side of my body.
    My hunch is just that he got an overdose in a bad place and a small dose in a good place might not bother him. Just be careful... allergies are like heat stroke, the more often you push your limit the lower your threshold gets.
     
  5. onehorse

    onehorse New Member

    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    That's the thing, how do I differentiate between anaphylactic shock and a panic attack? He had the rash, from wrist to armpit to waistline, blood pressure bottomed out, complained it felt like a heart attack, numbness of his mouth, tongue, and teeth, but he was stable by the time that the ambulance made the hospital. The hospital nailed him with pred., Benedryl, and eppy and within 15 mintues of all that, his color started coming back. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have had some kind of reaction to the incident yesterday, he hasn't gotten stung like that before and one of the bees might have gotten lucky and hit a vein. He got stung once or twice last year and maybe a handful this year and never more then 1 or 2 at a time (though the last sting he received, prior to this incident, was rough with a lot of swelling in the hand, wrist, and lower arm), but he did panic yesterday; he is very fearful of getting "swarmed" by bees. He looks very good today, a bit red, but I think that is from the pred. that he is on, but he is off of everything else, including the Benedryl, with no itching and very little (if any) swelling. Not that a panic attack is much better, but the deadly allergic reaction is a rough one, but how do I tell one from the other.

    Ohhh, one other thing, I might be looking for a cutout/trapout partner, if anyone is interested!