TAMU Bee Lab

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tecumseh, Aug 5, 2013.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Who's the ugly guy in the toboggan? :shock: :lol:

Nice link. You're a lucky man

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

according to my wife that is the bee labs Yoda. that head gear does hide my receding hair line.

we have had a good group of students this summer doing an undergraduate research experience (URE).... good in that their experience in beekeeping is from 0 to having kept a few hives bees bit they all seem well motivated, smart enough and all have a good work ethic.

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Looks like it might have been a bit chilly when you were building hives. You probably dress a little cooler now. :grin:

Walt

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec. thanks for explaining the head gear, i thought maybe you had a ponytail wadded up in the top of it.:lol: Good looking group, and looks like there having fun. Jack

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

The first pictures in the link was a field trip to Welder Wildlife Preserve where the group was checking on the prevalence of feral colonies of africanized bees. Most of the colonies they knew of from a prior study but given the terrain of the coastal brush country they were real trooper to have persisted in that effort. I might add a very good group of students most of who are doing a summer undergraduate research experience. Good in that they all seem to be smart enough, well motivated, have good work ethic and they are very kind to old men.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It looks like they don't make today's students "Texas sized" like they used to. Good thing they kept you in the pictures to see what a "real Texan" (via all sorts of other states) is supposed to look like. :lol:
    Methinks you are enjoying the University atmosphere.

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

If I could be young again, I might study entomology. Tec, the day you and I visited the facility, it was really quiet. The students really bring that space to life. They are lucky to have your mentoring influence in their mix. :)

We need to get you up here for a talk at our Dino-Bee Club. Do you have a briefcase full of slides? ;)

9. Ray

Ray Member

Alright, having spent some time in SW Texas and understanding a little of Texas Culture.
    How many AGGIES does it take to............[​IMG]
    Hook'em Horns[​IMG]

​Can anyone suggest a way this electronically challenged beehaver can keep the Facebook link to the TAMU Bee Lab available?

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well Ray to 'set you straight' there are two kinds of aggies those that appreciate a good aggie joke and those that will kill you for repeating one (good or bad... doesn't really matter). I guess the first aggie joke was when they move Texas A&M from Austin to College Station. from the get go this institution was fairly conservative in that they never really stood for much beyond 'we are not UT'.... even the school's theme school suggest this pretty directly.

the current news of our quarterbacks taking pocket change for autographs while putting at risk a 6 figure pro contract is about the best aggie joke I have heard in decades.