Taste of your surrounding

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Feb 6, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I know that honey will taste like whats around you. Growing up in Florida nothing taste better than orange blossom honey. :Dancing: In my neighborhood there are a lot of Callery Pear tress. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callery_Pear. I have one in my front yard. When it blooms in Spring it stinks really bad! They don't bloom very long thank goodness! Will this make my honey taste bad?

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Maybe, maybe not.

3. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I would say more than likely not. Those tree blooms will not be the only source your bees use to produce honey, and since you probably won't take honey off until late summer or early fall, your honey will be a mixture of everything the bees have worked.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm sure there is some out there, but i have never tasted a cured honey i couldn't eat or totally disliked. :confused: Jack

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is the same as a bradford pear, and from what I've read, the bees won't touch it.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

You have never tried Malaluka honey or Almond honey. The time I tried Almond honey I was glad to be trying it right from the hive so I didn't feel bad about spitting it out on the ground. That woulda been a mess indoors. :)

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

What about bartlett pears? I just planted one at the edge of the property, I guess we'll wait and see. Oh well, I guess I'd better hurry up with some apples, eh?

Ed

(edited to change my post from bradford to bartlett...I wasn't paying attention! :roll: )

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

From what i've seen, bees don't care for pear trees? jack

9. Omie

Omie New Member

There are some decorative Bradford pear trees up and down main st in our village. They bloom but bear tiny shriveled fruit since they are 'decorative' pear trees for bloom only. honeybees and all sorts of bees just love them.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

How ironic that Almond honey tastes bad? With all the hives lugged into California for pollination and nothing to show for it honeywise? What a shame. :(

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yeah, but the colonies are strong.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

From the sound of it you would think almond honey would be great. :confused: I put out about an acre of buckwheat every year to help them build winter stores and have customers begging for buckwheat honey, and i have customers who can't stand the taste of it. I like it and i like the taste of goldenrod and aster honey also, so you can see what your dealing with when it comes to my taste buds. :lol: Jack

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

That is what I've seen also. There is bradford pear outside the building where I work, and I have a regular fruit pear tree in my yard. The bees are all over them when in bloom.

Jim

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have a pear tree that they work well, but have never seen one on any of the bradford pears here.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Very strange, i have two Bartlet pear trees and two bradford trees and rarely ever see honey bees on them, but my old beekeeping buddy has a Bradford pear tree he says they are all over it when in bloom. :confused: Just a thought, could it be the type of soil there in? Jack

16. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Or the time of bloom. I have an apple tree that is full of carpenter bees and 5 other varieties, but nary a honeybee. Apparently something better is blooming at the same time.

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Jack, maybe your bees are just spoiled? Or maybe they are just very discerning as to which fruit they will grace with their presence (Oh wait, that's the same as spoiled) :lol:

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I know what your saying Perry. :mrgreen: I love freash sliced tomatoes, but still don't like cooked breaded tomatoes. :roll: Jack

19. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I'm glad to hear the bees work "some" pear trees. Maybe I picked one with the honey bee gene in it. ;)

The parsonage at church has 6 or 7 very large bradford pear trees alongside the road. I'll check them when they go in bloom and see if bees are working them. They're just a touch over 2.5 miles from my bee yard so they probably won't be too much of a factor for my bees. :cry:

Ed

20. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

I do think it is a matter of what is available for the bees and when. I have not seen them working Bradford Pear trees around here. Every year, around the corner from me, one neighbor has a Bradford in bloom and his across the street neighbor has an ornamental cherry tree in bloom. The Bradford looks like a ghost town and you can hear the bees on the ornamental cherry long before I can get close enough to see them--then you can see hundreds or more.