TBH Brood in almost every frame(bar)?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, Jun 2, 2014.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Hello all, My question is this,... I have a 25 bar TBH which is quite full of beautiful bees. (They have swarmed already too) While inspecting the hive I find Brood on almost every frame/bar. I had imagined that they would have brood in the middle frames/bars and honey on the ends. But as it is, they are filling the top of each bar with honey stores and brood beneath the honey. Is this because the hive is over crowded (thus the swarm) or a fluke of some kind, or is this normal with a THB?

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

that my friend is the down fall in keeping the European honey bee in the TBH. You have a 36" TBH A 48" will allow for a few extra frames for honey storage but if it is honey you are after put the bees in Langstroth equipment.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

least he can have a TBH there here in south Florida its hard on the comb here cause of the heat, if the comb is attached in anyway to the sides at all you will lift the bar and the comb will stay, our be inspectors most of the time wont inspect a TBH unless you the owner of the hive lift the bars, they dont want to be responsible for damage and I dont blame them 1 bit.