Technology in scientific beekeeping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Bear, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

Well, I don't know how many tech type peoples I have connected with on here but if you get into technology, it might interest or amuse you to know that I am now a contributing writer to an online magazine called "TechDissected".

My particular area of contribution is to write about technology from a scientific beekeeper's point of view.

I will be talking about the tech that beekeepers use from web hosting and mobile apps and web sites to the tools used in scientific beekeeping such as refractors, wireless transmitting devices and customized software, operating systems and servers that get used because we do things with tech that most everyday developers have never thought of.

Scientific beekeeping uses technology in ways that might amaze you and you can find out all about them in my contributions at TechDissected.com.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

It's official...I'm a dinosaur! Got on the website and was completely baffled, and didn't find your contributions (was probably doing something wrong). :sad:

Years ago, before most of the people on this forum were born, I was quite the computer enthusiast, programming in APL, BASIC, and PASCAL. Sadly, the years and advances left me behind. I'll leave the tech world up to folks that know what they're doing :thumbsup:, and be very thankful that there are folks that know what they're doing.

Walt

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

3. BKF

BKF Administrator Staff Member

Big bear, are you allowed to post at least part of your articles here with a direct link to the rest? We would like to see your work.

Who knows, I might even learn something.

Angie

4. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

Hey Walt, no, I am just starting to write for them. So there is nothing of my work to see there yet.

And yes, Angie, I will be putting leads and links in here if people really want me to. As long as the forum admins don't have a problem with my doing so.

And yes, I plan to monitor the chatter on this and other beekeeping forums regularly and when I see some of you good folks doing interesting things with technology in your beekeeping, I will definitely want to interview you and let the world know how beekeepers make modern technology their own.

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Big Bear, GREAT!

Looking forward to reading your contributions. :thumbsup:

Walt

6. BKF

Big Bear - lets try you giving a little bit of an intro and then a link when you get one going. We may have to tweak the process, but lets try one first.

Angie

7. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

OK then. Here we go. my first article for TechDissected on the topic of technology used in beekeeping has been published.

Find it at this link for TechDisscted and let me know what you think here in this thread.

Bee Tech, The Science Of Beekeeping Hits It's Stride

8. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

Hello beekeepers. I am writing an article for TechDissected.com on the topic of using 3d printers in beekeeping.

If you would bee interested in helping to inform the world on how us beekeepers do awesome things that "normal" people never thought of, please drop me a private message telling me about your 3d printer experimenting in regard to beekeeping.

let me know what kind, brand, model printer you have used. What kind of items you have made for beekeeping with it. how well has it worked. What works great with it, what doesn't work so well, etc...

9. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

10. camero7

camero7 Member

I find these programs are too time consuming. I'm not smart enough for a smart phone and I find duct tape on top of the hive with a good paint pen works the best for me.

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Nice intro to beekeeping software. Looking forward to the more in depth reviews of Hive Tracks and Bee Tight.

Walt

12. BKF

Can you put a paragraph or two here from your articles. As has been said, if you are on the app, it's difficult to go to another location to read that article.

Thanks