Telescoping cover

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by crazy8days, Jan 15, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm gearing up to make telescoping covers. The plans I have uses 1/2" plywood. I have here at home 1/2" OSB board. Does anyone see an issue using OSB? Painted and covered with tin I can't see it getting wet. Personally I've never like OSB but I have some that has been laying around for years.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have several lids made with 5/8 and 3/4 OSB board,painting it before putting tin on it may help, but it' made with outside glue. If the tin gets a hole in it and water gets in it will warp over time. I have gone to mostly migratory lids, ilike to use the 3/4 OSB with tin (Alum.roof flashing) and run a 2"x2"CCA on top along each side to help keep from warping.Jack

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

The moisture from the hive, combined with the vapor barrier of the cover is not the best environment for OSB or particle board. Have not used it for covers but not impressed with it for roof sheating or other places where it gets damp.

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

That's why I was going to paint it. Seal out the moister. Just trying to use up what I have.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

If you got em, smoke em! My thoughts was that it is near the same work as with better material so I would not get fancy with your joinery! I plan to have some temporary hives this summer and lilkely just use feed bags and something to hold them down. I made some up by ripping cedar to 5/16 thick boards and sheeted tops then covered with aluminum flashing but I am starting to get over being fancy!

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If you got the material i'd use it, nothing last forever so you might as well use it.:thumbsup: One thing for sure, the bees don't care what it looks like or i'd have alot of empty hives.:lol: Jack

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Why does home depot always try to sell me osb for stuff that will be exposed to moisture?

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

OSB is supposed to be made with a water proof outside glue. The wall next to my inside shop door is exposed to the weather and does get rained on at times. Its not warped or rotten, but is discolored and in otherwise good shape. Jack

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

ok. tired. super tired of computer... Thank you Jack.