Telescoping cover

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by crazy8days, Feb 12, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm curious if the depth of the cover has to be a certain depth. I'm thinking no but, thought I would ask anyways. The covers I'm making are 2" deep. I have scrap 3/4" solid oak shelving that I was going to use for the top under the tin. I'm using all-season in inner covers so I was keeping the outer from covering the screened holes. I can go either way with the 3/4" on top of frame or inside.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good question Crazy...I found a link over at beesource that discusses it a bit. From what Michael Bush's thread explains, it looks as if the distance between the bottom of the inner cover and top of the top bars is the more critical measurement or concern. http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-219635.html

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I don't use Langstroths so I was confused by the term all-season inner cover. Enlightenment came when I viewed crazy8's thread posted Jan 22nd 2013 which included a photo.

The telescoping outer covers that I have are made with side walls that vary between 4 and 9 inches.

Manley (1946) suggested that the inside dimensions of the walls of the outer cover should be just slightly larger than the box it covers. If the wind starts to lift one side of the roof, the close fit makes the roof lock to the box.......:eek:ldtimer:

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Barbarian, my outer covers are slightly larger for that reason. My question is does it matter what depth the "trim" is? I'm cutting them 2" wide to accomadate my inner covers side vent holes.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I make them a bit taller than that and it makes a place to put a shavings filled burlap pillow for winter heat/ventilation, but I'm in a different climate. One thing I have cursed a few times is making them fit too tightly. Leave enough room so that the diagonal distance as you lift one side is a loose fit. Boxes vary in size and it is nice to have tops that are interchangeable and easy to prop up if needed.